Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedlite 300EZ for Canon EOS650
Hi, you're pros and I'm not. I have an EOS650 from the 80's. About 7 years ago (yes!) I left batteries in my speedlite and the contacts are of course corroded, although not terribly so but not cleaning up well either. What can I replace this flash with? I don't use the EOS very much these days as hooked on the pocket size, so I don't want to spend a lot....many thanks,
Honestly, I would look for a good used version of the one you already own. This camera can not utilize most of the features (ETTL etc), so I would not spend a lot of money on a new one. The new flashes will work on your camera, but not with full functionality when compared to using them on a modern camera.
[quote name='new' timestamp='1331476550' post='16557']

Hi, you're pros and I'm not. I have an EOS650 from the 80's. About 7 years ago (yes!) I left batteries in my speedlite and the contacts are of course corroded, although not terribly so but not cleaning up well either. What can I replace this flash with? I don't use the EOS very much these days as hooked on the pocket size, so I don't want to spend a lot....many thanks,

[/quote]
Bryan, thank you for a quick reply and good advice. I should have realized that an '80s era SLR would be quite passe by now...
Have a look at http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#aandb if you want to know more about the ins and outs of Canon flash. The newer flash units will only offer limited support for the EOS 650. It is probably better to look for a 2nd hand unit as suggested above, or look for a completely manual or auto (thyristor) flash. The latter are not expensive and can be used with most cameras. The only disadvantage is that you will have to thnik for yourself about f/stop etc.
[quote name='Jos' timestamp='1331567304' post='16612']

Have a look at http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#aandb if you want to know more about the ins and outs of Canon flash. The newer flash units will only offer limited support for the EOS 650. It is probably better to look for a 2nd hand unit as suggested above, or look for a completely manual or auto (thyristor) flash. The latter are not expensive and can be used with most cameras. The only disadvantage is that you will have to thnik for yourself about f/stop etc.

[/quote]
Jos, many thanks, also a great suggestion!
[quote name='Jos' timestamp='1331567304' post='16612']

Have a look at [url="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#aandb"]http://photonotes.or...os-flash/#aandb[/url] if you want to know more about the ins and outs of Canon flash. The newer flash units will only offer limited support for the EOS 650. It is probably better to look for a 2nd hand unit as suggested above, or look for a completely manual or auto (thyristor) flash. The latter are not expensive and can be used with most cameras. The only disadvantage is that you will have to thnik for yourself about f/stop etc.

[/quote]

Be careful about using third party completely manual flashes on this camera. I remember that I could not use a Vivitar 283 flash on my Canon Elan IIE camera without using a Wein SafeSync to lower the voltage. The Canon cameras used a 6 volt triggering system and the Vivitar was something like 260 volts if I remember correctly. There was a supposed danger of frying the flash circuitry on the camera. I am not sure if this info is true and correct, but I used a SafeSync to be on the safe side.
[quote name='Bryan Conner' timestamp='1331584450' post='16624']

Be careful about using third party completely manual flashes on this camera. I remember that I could not use a Vivitar 283 flash on my Canon Elan IIE camera without using a Wein SafeSync to lower the voltage. The Canon cameras used a 6 volt triggering system and the Vivitar was something like 260 volts if I remember correctly. There was a supposed danger of frying the flash circuitry on the camera. I am not sure if this info is true and correct, but I used a SafeSync to be on the safe side.

[/quote]
as I said at the start of my query, you guys are pros! thank you