Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preview: Fujinon XF 23mm f/2 R WR
Quote:thxbb12, I realize, we are drifting around camera UI's (from Fuji to nearly all available) in a lens thread, which was basically my fault. And we're drifting on, but starting a new thread while in this one all interesting things were already said?

Your last post contains so many good observations and ideas, that I think, I take your permission to copy your last statement into a new thread and leave this one for lens discussions.

Good idea Joju, go ahead  Smile
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Done, see new thread  Smile

My comment was primarily based on thought that 

- Fuji has an APS-C sensor which I would consider to be the sweet spot for mirrorless

- Their sensors are superior to MFT's and also somewhat better still than Sony's and Canon's APS-C sensors

- Their lens lineup is vastly superior to what Sony and Canon have to offer in the APS-C mirrorless segment

- Their color rendition (driven by the camera) is very nice

About the menu system ... well, being someone who has to switch camera systems all the time I couldn't care less really. If it matters - I'd say that Canon DSLRs (mid-spec & up) are the best here. The menu system is - in my view - the very last deciding factor of everything. But I am a simple guy. My biggest annoyance with Fuji cameras is that it resets some stuff (e.g. the timer) automatically. From a pure lab perspective, the focus-by-wire system is the worst of them all but that's really limited to the lab.

Quote:...From a pure lab perspective, the focus-by-wire system is the worst of them all but that's really limited to the lab.

I'm not in a lab and I'm annoyed by the FbW nearly all the time manual focus becomes important.

Aiming at a bird, stupid guy hides behind twigs. Bird dies before I can focus the 100-400 Fuji. Certain Fuji lenses don't indicate minimal focus distance on a scale, none has an end stop - like all mechanical lenses do have. Others do need the clutch. If the clutch is in manual focus position, AF-C will no longer work.

In case this is an upcoming question: Yes, I do like the output of the Fujis, too, I also do like it's compactness and sturdiness. But the sky is not exclusively pink above them... And I'd say, with nearly the same efforts they could have get rid of some weirdness in their menus, but I suspect, Fuji fanboys love weirdness in menus. In that case the designers are perfect.

I'm curious to try an X-T someday, but for now, the X-Pro seems like the perfect travel camera for me Smile I might be tempted to build another small setup just for that purpose.

FWIW, heading to Geneva over the weekend again, this time with the XF 50/2 in my bag Smile So, maybe sample images from that one, soon...

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Funny, this 50/2 I got as substitute for the 56/1.2 APD (which currently is in service because of some rattle in the tube and a wobbly aperture ring - so much to the "metal construction", haha). The APD is slow in dark situations. I thought, no APD filter = always possible PDAF? No true, the 50/2 is even slower if it's dark enough  :mellow: But PZ testers are mostly daylight persons B)  

Haha, well, at least while in review mode Wink

Metal alone unfortunately is no warrant for ever-lasting sturdiness. Learned that lesson from Zeiss ZM lenses. They're notorious for showing wobbly focus rings after a few years of use.

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

I thought you had the x-pro 1; which has a very laggy (poor evf). Have you tried the x-pro 2 which is significantly better ? Perhaps you don't actually use the evf ?

Quote:I'm curious to try an X-T someday, but for now, the X-Pro seems like the perfect travel camera for me Smile I might be tempted to build another small setup just for that purpose.

FWIW, heading to Geneva over the weekend again, this time with the XF 50/2 in my bag Smile So, maybe sample images from that one, soon...

-- Markus
Hmm, interesting. I switch between evf and the optical viewfinder often. But I haven't noticed that the evf is particularly laggy (in my book). That might be because I used it mostly in daylight so far (so JoJu is kinda right Wink )

However, if the viewfinder in the X-Pro 2 is so much better, I probably should NOT try it Wink the X-Pro 1 serves well for what I need it for, plus a 1-series X-camera is required for review work. I can't justify spending a lot more for another camera...

-- Markus

Editor
opticallimits.com

Quote:Funny, this 50/2 I got as substitute for the 56/1.2 APD (which currently is in service because of some rattle in the tube and a wobbly aperture ring - so much to the "metal construction", haha). The APD is slow in dark situations. I thought, no APD filter = always possible PDAF? No true, the 50/2 is even slower if it's dark enough  :mellow: But PZ testers are mostly daylight persons B)  

What has slow focus in the dark to do with the lens? We don't do camera tests ...