Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Kickstarter: Arsenal, AI camera assistant
Alternative answer to my question: Why do have camera / user interfaces to be so complicated?

Instead of complaining on and on about missing user settings or other stuff, why not using a tool which sets up the bloody machine the way photogs did a million times before (and will do on and on): There's a little brain on top of the camera which I could tell (sort of) how my picture should look like and based on it's "experience" and artificial intelligence it will setup the machine which contains the sensor to record my new masterpiece.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/209...n=b8ac1747

It already has exceeded the kickstarter target for 9 times, so there must be kind of interest of a lot of people.

What a perspective: Humans become the mules for AI, we set up a tripod, put some camera and lens on it, aim at something we think "could look interesting" and the little, harmless looking device sets up all necessary (and unnecessary) parameters in the camera for us, focus stack included. If the task was solved once before and got enough 5-star ratings, it can be solved again based on "what was good yesterday, will be good today as well".

And sets the standard for tomorrow.

Not to put down the concept, but this is like "full auto plus". Regardless how it is achieved, you're letting something decide for you how to get something that might look nice based on what else might look nice. If that is the limit of your ambition, it is fine. You produce more of the same that many have done before you. I think we've all been there when learning, but this might allow you to reach the destination without the journey. Will it allow you to push beyond your existing capabilities though? It may free time on mundane shots, but will users of it have sufficient understanding when in a scenario that isn't covered?

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Somehow the link only gives half the page and then blocks my comp, nevertheless it's enough to see it's based on smart-phone apps.

I then go into deep sleep mode. :mellow:

This is not about creative photography this about smart image automation with all the hassle of tripod use.

To me it's complicating matters, phone battery life, gadget battery life, tripods and all the "blad" of setting it up, if you can't operate a modern camera to produce a well exposed image, you might as well give up.....and take up basket weaving!

I'm wondering how the focus stacking changes the focus?

Thanks JoJu but I'll cross the road! B)

" If that is the limit of your ambition, it is fine."   Nice one Popo! 

To be frank, my first judgement was more negative than yours is. I read it on DPReview first: https://www.dpreview.com/news/3902928422...ss-cameras

Now I looked a bit closer. I still remain skeptical against AI and photography, but then: If it's only intelligence and not artificial emotions, it's just putting some hassle away:

Focus stacks and merge it in a RAW - which DSLR has that option as a standard?

HDR or longtime exposure without filters? For that a tripod is needed anyway, no?

Same for star tracks and time-lapses.

I own CamRanger and don't use it, because it's batteries are down in no time, therefore always empty. Big and huge and not even the idea of a hotshoe underneath it's body crossed it's developers mind. And it is far away from an easy, reliable WiFi connection. This one definitely looks much better. And has more features in it I'd be happy to use wither becoming IT or WiFi engineer.

If this device is just an expansion of my already needed settings and puts the camera after a stack shot back to the settings it had before, I would appreciate it. It works with two of my cameras from two manufacturers (Fuji X-E2 and Nikon D810) and especially the Fuji with it's poor interface would benefit so much of the work from somebody who cared more about user experience than Fuji does with their Kaizen updates. These just put more functions into the camera - but the usage of them is as poor as ever.

And about "full auto plus": I think modern multi-metering is also based on some thousands pictures already made before - I could not meter better by myself without an exposure meter. I rely on that and know when I need to make own adjustments. This Arsenal thing is only suggesting - a lot of other stuff I have to do myself: choose FL, point of myself to the subject = perspective, time of the day, light situation.

It's no help in a lot of dynamic situations - but how often I tried to do focus stacks with CamRanger and it just failed because I could look at each of them not before getting home and do the stacks? Or the stack was alright, but the white balance not or something else made my work useless? If I have an idea, is the idea getting better just because I'm able to handle all necessary technical preparations in terms of camera set-up for it as perfect as a robot? Because if not, I can put these into the "responsibility" of a robot.

Are artists creating their visions with the help of 3D stereolithography worse artists than the ones working with chisel and hammer?

It sounds overkill. I mean: I'm fine if I'm presented a more effective user interface, as JoJu is right, camera manufacturers aren't the top experts of interfaces for what I see. Clearly a tablet has got an advantage, the screen size, so many important options could be presented on the same page, without the need of going through multiple menus. Furthermore, one could use more presets than the camera offer, etc... But I'd stop there, without putting any artificial intelligence or artificial dumbness in the thing.

Actually time ago I started writing an Android app for driving the a6000... The basic things are there, it just needs some work on the UI. But there are some quirks with operating the a6000, that made my enthusiasm drop... Maybe I have to retry with the a6300.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
   I am not a control freak but.........

........I want to take the picture!      ....doesn't that sound quaintly old fashioned?
To make, to manage a focus stack in the field, you need a certain amount of control - there are more settings which may not altered during the shot. No matter how you do the shot: Fully manual, including a macro rail or adjusting focus ring, an uncontrolled series of shots will lead to wasted time and no results.

Unfortunately, the maybe better interface of Arsenal will not help me with not shooting remote controlled. So, in a normal situation I am (or an Arsenal user will be) as f..ckd as anybody else.

I don't want to talk anybody in it, I just jumped on the clickbait "Artificial Intelligence" - which we are already using, sort of, with that multi-metering or whatever the fully covered metering field is named.

It doesn't let the camera walk alone.

It's sort of intelligence like IBM's Watson (I was not aware of this app couple of weeks ago). To me, it's more like a useful accessory, an extension like extension rings, flashes or remote triggers, just with some cool features added.

And the likeliness of coming to a nice subject with my camera, but without tripod or Arsenal is quite real. The developer is a landscape photographer, so it only helps with typical landscape issues. It's not huge, it's lightweight, quickly mounted and connected. If I think at D810's cable release and the fiddle with the stupid thread... Okay, switching to self timer is still quicker than set up a remote device. But it has it's charm.

Quote:To make, to manage a focus stack in the field, you need a certain amount of control - there are more settings which may not altered during the shot. No matter how you do the shot: Fully manual, including a macro rail or adjusting focus ring, an uncontrolled series of shots will lead to wasted time and no results.

Unfortunately, the maybe better interface of Arsenal will not help me with not shooting remote controlled. So, in a normal situation I am (or an Arsenal user will be) as f..ckd as anybody else.

I don't want to talk anybody in it, I just jumped on the clickbait "Artificial Intelligence" - which we are already using, sort of, with that multi-metering or whatever the fully covered metering field is named.

It doesn't let the camera walk alone.

It's sort of intelligence like IBM's Watson (I was not aware of this app couple of weeks ago). To me, it's more like a useful accessory, an extension like extension rings, flashes or remote triggers, just with some cool features added.

And the likeliness of coming to a nice subject with my camera, but without tripod or Arsenal is quite real. The developer is a landscape photographer, so it only helps with typical landscape issues. It's not huge, it's lightweight, quickly mounted and connected. If I think at D810's cable release and the fiddle with the stupid thread... Okay, switching to self timer is still quicker than set up a remote device. But it has it's charm.
 Your right, if this start up comes to fruition we will no doubt see more about it, maybe a utube or two.

The publicity always paints a glowing picture. 

Artificial intelligence is being everywhere, sooner or later it will eventually come to cameras, (in fact some rudimentary forms of it are already there, many cameras already have "intelligent auto" mode. Even DSLRs the camera has a basic form of it.

For the time being it's a little bit immature but without doubt it is coming
Quote: Your right, if this start up comes to fruition we will no doubt see more about it, maybe a utube or two.

UTube: https://youtu.be/mmfGeaBX-0Q