Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tokina 17mm wide angle
Hi.

I am new as a member here (have used the page a lot for the reviews of canon lenses).

I am considering to buy a used lens; Tokina at-x pro 17mm, and the review I have found on this page is on a Canon 350D. I have a 5D Mark II, (have not had a chance yet to test it on my camera) and I am worried if the vignetting is large with this lens on this camera (don't want to get stuck with a lens that gives a black ring around the photoSmile. Is there anyone in here who have tested this lens on the 5D Mark II?

Feedback would be appreciatedSmile

Gerhard
[quote name='Gerhard1972' timestamp='1319222834' post='12406']

Hi.

I am new as a member here (have used the page a lot for the reviews of canon lenses).

I am considering to buy a used lens; Tokina at-x pro 17mm, and the review I have found on this page is on a Canon 350D. I have a 5D Mark II, (have not had a chance yet to test it on my camera) and I am worried if the vignetting is large with this lens on this camera (don't want to get stuck with a lens that gives a black ring around the photoSmile. Is there anyone in here who have tested this lens on the 5D Mark II?

Feedback would be appreciatedSmile

Gerhard

[/quote]

Evrry wide angle on FF has light fall off towards the corners, mostly because of the sensor surface itself. This is not the same as vignetting though, vignetting actually obscuring part of the image giving dark/black corners.

Since it is mostly sensor related, it does not matter all that much which 17mm lens you use. If you want to get rid of the light fall off you will need to correct it in DPP or other software.

Why this Tokina in particular? Is it a cheap bargain you came across? The Tokina has considerable CA which needs to be dealt with in post processing too. It is and older lens, it is hard to find any reviews of it. In short, it won't give "a black ring" bit you will be able to notice light fall off towards the corners in certain shots.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1319237356' post='12410']

Evrry wide angle on FF has light fall off towards the corners, mostly because of the sensor surface itself. This is not the same as vignetting though, vignetting actually obscuring part of the image giving dark/black corners.

Since it is mostly sensor related, it does not matter all that much which 17mm lens you use. If you want to get rid of the light fall off you will need to correct it in DPP or other software.

Why this Tokina in particular? Is it a cheap bargain you came across? The Tokina has considerable CA which needs to be dealt with in post processing too. It is and older lens, it is hard to find any reviews of it. In short, it won't give "a black ring" bit you will be able to notice light fall off towards the corners in certain shots.

[/quote]

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I did get it real cheap, and it scored very high on the test here at photozone. I will get it in a few days, and I will report here then. If it not a great lens, I will not have suffered too much economicallySmile

Again, thanksSmile