Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggested memory card for the a6300
As you might have understood, I've ordered the Sony a6300  Smile . I should have it by the end of the month (not the fastest service: I've ordered it at a seller who offers to pay by bank transfer, for people preferring to save a few euros and not in a hurry). But I want to make sure I'll have all the required accessories when I get it  ^_^ .

The only thing I'm still thinking of is the memory card. AFAIK the camera is compatible with UHS-I only, so no need for going with UHS-II. I plan to do also 4k movies with the camera. If I did the math right, a 64GB card should contain about 1.5 hours at 4k, 100mbps, which should be ok for me.

I wonder whether the UHS-II makes sense for shortening transfer time to the MacBook Pro, but it's probably worthless.

So I'm thinking of the Lexar Professional SDXC 633x 64 GB, UHS-I (which is the same I'm using with the a6000).

Any suggestion for something different? Thanks.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Not sure how patient you are to see the pictures, but for downloading I prefer snappy reading speeds. Especially at such huge cards (everything beyond 32 GB to me is huge). And the brand? I remain with Sandisk Extreme Pro without any testing or speed measurements until the first lets me down, but so far...

I think I feel myself a bit more on the safe side with less big cards because if something rather stupid happens to one of them like loosing them at the rim of Vesuvio crater or so, It's not the full load of pictures getting lost. But then, I haven't set them to backup when 2 clots are at my services.

Usually the transfer time is not a big problem for me... My record number of shots in a journey is 1500 per day, and usually I start the transfer in the hotel when I go to the restaurant for the dinner. The biggest problem is the time Lightroom takes for computing the previews. So in the end it's unlikely that I postprocess all the photos while I'm on the journey - I only take a look at the ones I've most expectation about, so in case of some error I can perhaps try them again the next day.

In any case I checked that the 1000x version of the same card was not much more expensive, and opted for that.

Thanks.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Back from four days of pictures, I easily filled my 64 GB card.  ^_^  True, I don't know whether this will be "normal": being the first time with the a6300, I probably did more movies than I would normally do - also because I have to learn a number of technicalities.

But those files are huge... I have also to re-think my backup strategy for them...

stoppingdown.net