Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats your opinion, please?
Hello,

I have found a Nikon D300s (new one) for 1100-1400 euros (in this range). My doubt is this body worth today. What do you think?. It would be better to buy a Nikon D7000 body??.

Thanks

pd.- I the past I sold mi equipment. Today I have no other elements
[quote name='Brisco' timestamp='1315390818' post='11377']

Hello,

I have found a Nikon D300s (new one) for 1100-1400 euros (in this range). My doubt is this body worth today. What do you think?. It would be better to buy a Nikon D7000 body??.

Thanks

pd.- I the past I sold mi equipment. Today I have no other elements

[/quote]

Hard to answer for you, it depends on what you find important. The D7000 has a bit odd handling.. the grip is not as nice as the D300, and some controls are messed up making the D7000 not a worthy successor in every way. It is of course in other areas better, like the improved sensor. Try both cameras (the feel of the grip of the D7000 especially, and the mode dials on the D7000 vs the D300s).
Just like BC I strongly suggest to try to handle both cameras first. The D7000 is a D90 on steroids, not a sized down D300. If it were my only camera, I wouldn't want to use it without an additional grip.

On the other hand: the rumor mill suggests some Nikon announcements in roughly two weeks. It's unclear so far if Nikon is going to announce their mirrorless solution or new DSLRs (which most likely would be D4 and/or D400). Even if you decide to stick to a D300s after the announcement of new cameras, it might become considerably cheaper then.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1315397495' post='11382']

Just like BC I strongly suggest to try to handle both cameras first. The D7000 is a D90 on steroids, not a sized down D300. If it were my only camera, I wouldn't want to use it without an additional grip.

On the other hand: the rumor mill suggests some Nikon announcements in roughly two weeks. It's unclear so far if Nikon is going to announce their mirrorless solution or new DSLRs (which most likely would be D4 and/or D400). Even if you decide to stick to a D300s after the announcement of new cameras, it might become considerably cheaper then.

-- Markus

[/quote]

Talking about image quality, I guess that the D7000 with the newer sensor it will be superior to D300s.

The D4 or a new D400 will be very expensive for my budget.
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1315397495' post='11382']

....the rumor mill suggests some Nikon announcements in roughly two weeks. It's unclear if Nikon is going to announce their mirrorless solution or new DSLRs (which most likely would be D4 and/or D400)....

[/quote]

yumooo, a mirrorless D400 with an 80-400 that works :-), good one Nikon - and dear Brisco, it's only money, what else would you spend it on
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1315404142' post='11385']

yumooo, a mirrorless D400 with an 80-400 that works :-), good one Nikon - and dear Brisco, it's only money, what else would you spend it on

[/quote]

A D400 without mirror? That makes no sense at all...
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1315409770' post='11386']

A D400 without mirror? That makes no sense at all...

[/quote]

... oh alright then, can we meet half way Bc and more accurately request ... that that other company lends Nikon their see thru mirror-thingy to stop the slip slop slap all the time
[quote name='soLong' timestamp='1315411521' post='11388']

... oh alright then, can we meet half way Bc and more accurately request ... that that other company lends Nikon their see thru mirror-thingy to stop the slip slop slap all the time

[/quote]

About this .. what is the real advantaje of the mirrorless body?
[quote name='Brisco' timestamp='1315415513' post='11390']

About this .. what is the real advantaje of the mirrorless body?

[/quote]

None, really.. You can make cameras more compact, but only with newly designed compact lenses. And the current crop (Sony NEX, Olympus/Panasonic micro 4/3rds, Samsung NX) do not have the range, quality and flexibility lens wise.

Sony uses a non-moving mirror in their SLT's, to allow fast phase detect AF with live view, without blackout. Personally when I'm in need of live view I am not in need of fast phase detect AF without blackout. I am also not a fan of the EVF that the SLT design implies. The SLTs have no real size advantage over DSLRs.

It is just a different concept, not necessarily better.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1315416291' post='11391']

None, really.. You can make cameras more compact, but only with newly designed compact lenses. And the current crop (Sony NEX, Olympus/Panasonic micro 4/3rds, Samsung NX) do not have the range, quality and flexibility lens wise.

Sony uses a non-moving mirror in their SLT's, to allow fast phase detect AF with live view, without blackout. Personally when I'm in need of live view I am not in need of fast phase detect AF without blackout. I am also not a fan of the EVF that the SLT design implies. The SLTs have no real size advantage over DSLRs.

It is just a different concept, not necessarily better.

[/quote]

With slt design you get:

better af during video

better mf during video (peaking and magnification in evf, ability to rec using evf)

better fps ( 12 fps it's today record)

with a65-a77 there is no vibration at all in shot and quiter shutter sound

If you don't need those feature it's only different and not better.