Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumours about Canon mirrorless...
They say that it's coming in September 2018 and will have the EF mount, with same flange distance...

I'm curious about that, if it's true. The advantage of the same flange distance is obvious. The disadvantage is size. But we know it's not relevant starting from a certain focal length... and - while I'm personally still giving the size feature a fundamental relevance for my switch - slowly but constantly mirrorless cameras are getting larger and heavier... Perhaps Canon thinks that in 2018 that argument won't be really important, and anyway will not focus on attacking Sony on very small combos (such as with some wide and normal lenses).

OTOH, it the rumors are true, I suppose Sony should now come out with some long teles. Rumors actually are starting about that stuff...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Eh, Sony cameras are not really small nor lightweight anymore anyway. With almost any lens, they match conventional DSLR sizes. Fuji are usually much smaller than APS-C DSLR systems with their native lenses though.

Mirrorless lenses are only smaller when it comes to ultra-wide to wide-angle lenses. All the rest is essentially as big as comparable DSLR lenses of the same format. Mirrorless cameras are smaller, of course.

A mirrorless camera with EF mount seems really very stupid. The achievable size advantages would all be gone. The "empty deep hole" serves no purpose. An adapter solution would be "good enough" for keeping EF compatibility really. If they really chose EF for their mirrorless camera it will hurt them on the long term. 

Pentax tried to do that with the K-01 if you remember that one. It failed miserably.

Also - only STM lenses are aligned for serious use on a mirrorless camera. USM lenses will be a compromise at best in terms of AF performance.

I think, keeping the flange distance would be a wise decision. A FF mirrorless is neither light nor small, right from the start they would have the full range of excellent lenses and later they could do simpler or better designs for wide angles.

Sigma did the same with theri sd quattro series and it felt pretty good. I just think, the should have placed the tripod socket more towards the mount - Sigma has some really heavy lenses - or, even better and much more elegant, put an Arca type swallow tail under their lesn tube.

I'd be happy with a short flange mount with a free EF mount adapter for old lenses but as most people are allergic to even the sight of adapters, that won't happen. Best would be an optional adapter with a fixed mirror for maximum performance with old USM lenses.

Wait... I just described Sony's LA-EA4 solution that they've pretty much abandoned.

I'd also be happy with a EF mount camera with EVF and a fixed mirror. Also known as a Sony A99II.

But with Canon mount. That's pretty much the crucial part.

Have you seen the Metabones EF adapter for Sony ?

If that's all what you want ... much faster than I thought actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUYcIPnOFZg

So you would have access to two systems with this setup actually. Why would you choose Canon only ? 

Ref:

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT4

Metabones adapters are excellent Smile. Which is why I own 3 (2 of them being Speedboosters Smile.

They allow me, in my case anyway, to use my EF-lenses on my Olympus cameras. Works really very well indeed.

As to Canon going to do an EF FF camera body: I think that is how one should see it, if they do indeed. Essentially a mirrorless dslr, and an easy solution too. If they are really considering this, they probably have an interesting solution when it comes to AF. I'd go for it, it it is a high MP solution; by now I prefer EVF over OVF. The camera would likely be smaller than a dslr regardless, as th  pentaprism isn't really needed anymore. It should just be a little fatter in the mount area. I do hope they would consider an adapter, however, like the one available for the M-series of Canon MILCs.

Having said all this, I wonder how much of a reality this is going to be, considering the rumours about a new 6D which was supposedly a MILC as well.

Kind regards, Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
With that attitude, they might as well not bother.

Quote:Have you seen the Metabones EF adapter for Sony ?

If that's all what you want ... much faster than I thought actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUYcIPnOFZg

So you would have access to two systems with this setup actually. Why would you choose Canon only ? 

Ref:

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT4

Eh, Metabones is quite impressive but I'm not getting a 2500$ camera to exploit that performance Wink 
Quote:Eh, Metabones is quite impressive but I'm not getting a 2500$ camera to exploit that performance Wink

What 2500$ camera?
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.