Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony 24mpx DX sensor IQ
Well, finally it is here - the breathtaking Sony A77. I agree, this camera is just packed with the latest and highest-tech stuff, indeed. However, behind all the marketing hype the essentials - the IQ - seems somewhat standing behind.

I know it is realtively early to judge the IQ of the A77 since no objective comparative tests has been published yet but let me tell you... After 25years of phototaking, I think my eye is experienced enough to make some preliminary IQ judgements. And to give it to you straight, I´m rather disappointed seeing the first dpreview.com samples. Actually, I consider the IQ very average or downright poor. And I´m talking here about pics taken with Zeiss 16-35 at f8, not an old Minolta-clone 28-300 wide open lens or something.

Second, the high ISO performance seems even worse. Actually, even the 1600ISO outputs seem so overpolished that it starts looking like a watercolor painting in a way.

I can´t help thinking that 24mpx on APS-C sensor is overkill and no matter what marketing is trying to tell you I can see the overall IQ is weak. I don´t actually care and don´t want to inspect the reasons (if it is either the diffraction, megapixel overkill, overprocessed JPG, translucent mirror light cutting etc.) but in the contrast of all the positive comments, let me hear mine:

I do appreciate Sony´s effort and innovation, however, I´m not impressed - the IQ is simply lacking.
Quote:I know it is realtively early to judge the IQ of the A77 since no objective comparative tests has been published yet but let me tell you...

Quote:I do appreciate Sony´s effort and innovation, however, I´m not impressed - the IQ is simply lacking.

I think that this jpeg sample firmware ver 0.58 or 0.65 are not rapresentative of the machine..... for me it's impossible that sony create a 7 serie that it's 2 step behind a 5 series...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl...tml&anno=2

Nex-5n seem a lot better in high iso than every aps-c camera ever made... can the nex-7 have very poor QI when 5n have this kind of QI?

I think that it's impossible and too early to judge...
[quote name='gianluca' timestamp='1314290099' post='10985']

I think that this jpeg sample firmware ver 0.58 or 0.65 are not rapresentative of the machine..... for me it's impossible that sony create a 7 serie that it's 2 step behind a 5 series...

[url="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.focus-numerique.com%2Ftest-1294%2Fcompact-sony-nex-5n-bruit-electronique-12.html&anno=2"]http://translate.goo...-12.html&anno=2[/url]

Nex-5n seem a lot better in high iso than every aps-c camera ever made... can the nex-7 have very poor QI when 5n have this kind of QI?

I think that it's impossible and too early to judge...

[/quote]

16 vs 24mp.

At the end of the day the 24mp images will be softer - not because of the sensor but because the lenses just don't provide the required resolution anymore. Unless Sony was able to do wonders the noise level will also be higher. This has not so much to do with 5 vs 7 but just physics.
Well, we will see. I´m not saying the IQ may not improve in the "alpha" version of the fw. I´m just saying what I´m seeing now is a disappointment for me. Wanna example? See the attachment... This is definitely not what I would call good IQ. And that is ISO100.... I´m too lazy to group together a comparison pics of high iso performance but just to conclude, the Alpha´s 77 ISO1600 is the worst ISO1600 rendering I have seen in years...

But OK, lets wait for the final, complete product and an official test done under the same conditions.

p.s. the attachment is 100% crop from the center of the image taken with A77 + Zeiss 16-35 f8 1/400sec
If that is indeed a best case sample then it would be a cause for concern, however to me that looks more like an out of focus shot.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Problems with high ISO noise (vs the competition) continuing for Sony? Still, very impressed with it's features compared to the Canon I have, and the low ISO samples look decent. I gave up on crop cameras in lower light a long time ago.
[quote name='besyry' timestamp='1314299300' post='10994']

I gave up on crop cameras in lower light a long time ago.[/quote]

May I ask what camera are you using for low light photography?
[quote name='Martin_MM' timestamp='1314286320' post='10984']

Well, finally it is here - ... I can´t help thinking that 24mpx on APS-C sensor is overkill ...

[/quote]

- well maybe . . . but . . . seems to me looking at the samples from the pop photo fellow that the pictures look to be typical sony pictures (compared to my files that is - i can see some errors, but these are jpgs) . . . so . . .

now my pictures come up nicely (ahem imho) with good post (imo, but i could be wrong) - info is available in the files that is not obvious at first sight, so probably it's looking good here prior to a personal look on skin texture with a good lens -

question for me is how is focus on a moving object in a burst (and they do make a feature of this) and what about that translucent mirror -

now, promise i'll keep quiet on this matter . . .and continue to wonder if it's worth spending all that money and carbon on a trip to see the fjords up there ... or ... just enjoy being down here looking at pictures from up there . . . and watching us all worry about what's what
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1314290628' post='10986']

16 vs 24mp.

At the end of the day the 24mp images will be softer - not because of the sensor but because the lenses just don't provide the required resolution anymore. Unless Sony was able to do wonders the noise level will also be higher. This has not so much to do with 5 vs 7 but just physics.

[/quote]

24mp on APS-C sized sensor is ~130 lp/mm... Don't you think an average APS-C lens would be enough for this resolution...

I'm more on the side where people say it's too early to judge... OTOH I agree with you when you say that a decent IQ on higher ISOs would be a wonder (maybe coming soon by Nikon on the new D400)...

Serkan
IQ seems decent to say the least, especially knowing that Sony loves to mess up JPEG and RAW will give much better results. On par with the latest Nikon and Canon APS-C DSLRs, I think. So, nice.

My quibbles have to do with the SLT design, which only has been introduced for phase detect AF with live view/video. It introduces some drawbacks I am not too charmed about.

There is the EVF. Very nice EVF for an EVF, BUt I like an optical view finder which actually shows the scene and lighting, not adjusted for exposure and the camera's interpretation. Also an OVF has a more 3D feel, which I value.

There is the odd limitation of the aperture and/or exposure time settings one can do with the high FPS modes, which is done because closing the aperture for each shot would mess up the live view stream. So... do you have a nice 70-200mm f2.8 sports lens? Though, can't shoot it wide open. Camera sets it to f3.5. Or want to use that nice 85mm f1.8 for indoors sports? Tough! 85mm f3.5 is what you get. Want to shoot at f7.1 in sports mode? Can't be done. Camera will select aperture and exposure time for you. For me, it would not be a problem as I do not use/need a high FPS mode for my shooting at the moment. But when the need arises, no A77 for me, thanks.

Then there is the AF in video. I am of the opinion that AF for video with shallow DOF devices is crap and useless, but one is free to disagree there. There are however similar limitations to the settings (both aperture and exposure time). Same as with the high speed FPS, f3.5 is what you get with f3.5 or faster lenses. Want something else? Tough. Want to set f8? f11? f6.3? Tough.

And then there is the mirror which at least in the A55v and A33 introduces ghost lights in night photography with light sources in the scene. A77 is too new to have seen examples of that yet, but I am betting they still will show up. Maybe not, maybe Sony has some anti-reflective new trick up its sleeve with this new generation.

And the closed sensor compartment + SSS + live view gave the A55v and A33 more heat up problems than other DSLRs. Maybe the A77 has cooling measures which make that a problem of the past?

So, yes.. since I am a RAW shooter, I am pretty sure IQ will be fine. Just not a camera for me because of its SLT design. And its not my favorite lens lineup.