•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax Q
[quote name='thxbb12' timestamp='1308847565' post='9450']

I wish they would have done what Sony or Samsung did: using an APS-C sensor in a compact pocketable camera.[/quote]

If they did that then what would people say? Oh, it's just another mirrorless system joining the other players. In that case, why would you pick Pentax over m4/3 or Sony for example?

By making the sensor smaller, they can realise smaller lenses, which has been a limitation of the bigger sensor players. The system would now have a tangible difference from existing players.

Of course the concern is they went too far that way. Now they're into compact territory, and I'm not so sure changeable lenses are enough to justify the significant cost over even a high end compact like the HX9V.

Overall, I think there is room for the Q system but only if they don't do a Sigma and get the price down to something more sensible. Given the smaller sensor, I think it should be priced at the lower end of the mirrorless market of today. I don't think the size benefit is enough to justify a price premium.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1308813675' post='9419']

I will have to get it anyway for testing ...[/quote]

Any chance for a shootout with the Ricoh GXR/P10? These are the only two cameras in the world with 1/2.x" sensors, RAW, hot-shoe, magnesium body and interchange lenses (or lensors, in the case of the Ricoh).
[quote name='boren' timestamp='1308849337' post='9454']

Any chance for a shootout with the Ricoh GXR/P10? These are the only two cameras in the world with 1/2.x" sensors, RAW, hot-shoe, magnesium body and interchange lenses (or lensors, in the case of the Ricoh).

[/quote]

That is the problem with the Ricoh, it changes its sensor per lens. So... not really comparable still..
I was expecting for Pentax to come up with something like the NX or NEX given their pancake series of lenses. I guess it is more marketing push to compact camera ugraders than dslr alternative compact.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1308851928' post='9456']

That is the problem with the Ricoh, it changes its sensor per lens. So... not really comparable still..

[/quote]

The ability to use different sensors sizes with a single camera is not a problem, it's an advantage. The only problem with the GXR concept is that the more expensive modules (A12) aren't further separated into mount+sensor and lens. The M-mount module is a change in the right direction. The small sensor modules (which I find very appealing) don't really need such separation. It would only make these modules more expensive without real justification.

The GXR/P10 is still the only camera that's comparable to the Pentax Q, even if you ignore the whole lens/lensor interchangeability. Comparable is not the same as identical.
[quote name='borisbg' timestamp='1308857440' post='9458']

I was expecting for Pentax to come up with something like the NX or NEX given their pancake series of lenses. I guess it is more marketing push to compact camera ugraders than dslr alternative compact.

[/quote]

Right. I still don't quite get it why pentax continues ignoring mirrorless APS-C market.

First, they are concentrating on APS-C; Second, they've got the most completed line of pancake lenses. Third they are recognized for making small yet high quality cameras(from LX to K7,K5). Forth, the Live view function on K5 is already very usable and responsive. It seems to me that Pentax have everything it takes to come up with a killer camera but they just don't do it. I'm guessing maybe there's some sort of agreement between Pentax and Sony limiting Pentax to get into the market....
[quote name='Albert' timestamp='1308972224' post='9496']

Right. I still don't quite get it why pentax continues ignoring mirrorless APS-C market.

[/quote]

The rumour is there will be a 2nd launch later this year of another line of APS-C mirrorless from Pentax. The Q is obviously aiming elsewhere.

If anything I'm more interested where Nikon are with theirs, since the rumours suggest they were close to announcement before the tsunami. And there's no evidence Canon are doing anything at all...
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
[quote name='popo' timestamp='1308987626' post='9498']

The rumour is there will be a 2nd launch later this year of another line of APS-C mirrorless from Pentax. The Q is obviously aiming elsewhere.

If anything I'm more interested where Nikon are with theirs, since the rumours suggest they were close to announcement before the tsunami. And there's no evidence Canon are doing anything at all...

[/quote]

Nikon, according to rumors, is also moving in a wrong direction...

On one said they say they are aiming at the more professional side of that compact market, on the other side they are talking about 2.6-2.8x crop!

I am not sure why one would want to have such a smaller sensor compared to APS-C, one REALLY would have to hate the possibility of more shallow DOF....

Canon is apparently working on a more compact DSLR, so with mirror but a smaller body than we have no with the 1100/600D series.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1308995029' post='9509']

Nikon, according to rumors, is also moving in a wrong direction...

On one said they say they are aiming at the more professional side of that compact market, on the other side they are talking about 2.6-2.8x crop!

I am not sure why one would want to have such a smaller sensor compared to APS-C, one REALLY would have to hate the possibility of more shallow DOF....

Canon is apparently working on a more compact DSLR, so with mirror but a smaller body than we have no with the 1100/600D series.

[/quote]

The market wants more compact setups and the sensors are getting better all the time. So I'd say that a smaller format is Okay at cost of depth-of-field potential for a certain user group. I wouldn't really vote for a 1/2.3" sensor as in the Q. That's probably rather pointless - technically at least. A 1/1.8" sensor would be Okay IMHO.

On the short terms basis Sony NEX and Samsung NX will have problems because they are competing with DSLRs. On the long term this is of advantage, of couse. DSLRs will disappear eventually and these large sensor EVIL are the obvious replacements.
[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1308995029' post='9509']

I am not sure why one would want to have such a smaller sensor compared to APS-C, one REALLY would have to hate the possibility of more shallow DOF....[/quote]

I think I know the reason. It's a combination of size and marketing. They're probably aiming to release a system where both the camera and lenses are really small, closer to the Q than the NEX. It's much easier to market a camera with a tiny sensor and f/2.8 lens than it is to market a same-size camera/lens combination that uses an APS-C sensor and f/8.0 lens. Too bad for us, as there's no doubt an APS-C camera would offer better image quality, similar to DSLRs (when used at low ISO). A small-sensor camera would never provide the same IQ, unless someone releases small-sensors that provides base-ISO performance that's comparable to APS-C sensors.

Note that both options are not going to be very good in low-light, but that's unavoidable when designing a system that aims to be significantly smaller than current APS-C or mFT mirrorless solutions.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next