Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best system for light and sharp wide angle lenses? Any on Sony E?
I started to reduce my load during trips some time ago, because I learned that it is much more fun if you don't have to carry 20-25kg around on your back...

(those guys take it to the extreme: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...index.html)

For photography I take my Ricoh GX-100 with me. That's quite an outdated camera, but it produces nice pictures at ISO 80 and offers a sharp lens. The big advantage is, that this camera will fit into most pockets and will be available if you need it. It's also much less obstrusive compared to a DSLR + large lens.

So maybe some of the new small cameras with 10MP 1/1,8" Sensor are good enough for your travel needs? Olympus XZ-1, Canon S90, Samsung EX-1, Panasonic LX-5 come to my mind...

I would only take a system camera if you really need lenses that can not be covered by the good compact cameras.

Yes, you have to give up some dynamic range with the small cameras and ISO 1600 pictures wouldn't look as nice compared to a DSLR, on the other hand I was fine with ISO 100 slide film 10 years ago which offered much more "noise" and much less dynamic range.

Martin

Messages In This Thread
Best system for light and sharp wide angle lenses? Any on Sony E? - by Guest - 06-18-2011, 10:56 AM