Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] VC
I wish they could build a VC version with the optical performance of the non-VC ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon--nikk...175028vcdx

For now, no sample images in this review. During the time I had the lens available, the weather was terrible ... for weeks!

However, Andrea (the owner of the tested sample) will kindly send the lens over again next week. If the weather permits, I'll shoot sample images then and update the review.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Will you be reviewing the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM anytime soon, Markus? It will be interesting to see how it measures up in the areas you test, to these Tamrons.
Maybe later this year, but currently it's not on my list.

However, Klaus reviewed the lens already on the 50D.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1307614311' post='9088']

Maybe later this year, but currently it's not on my list.

However, Klaus reviewed the lens already on the 50D.

-- Markus

[/quote]

Yes, Klaus reviewed it... but particularly in these lenses' case, it would be interesting to see a comparison on Nikon, due to the slightly larger crop factor of Canon.

With the Canon review, the extreme corners can't be totally be compared, and also the vignetting of course is not really comparable, due to the different bodies.
Just added sample images.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Are the MTF figures for the tamron with the VC on or off? Is the VC version really that my worse than the non VC? I was going to buy the VC version to go with the 60D, will mainly be using hand held, should i opt for the non VC instead? how does spped and accuracy of AF compare on both models? very important as my 2 year old will be on the move? is the VC fast enough for movement or do you think i will just be turning it off all the time? non vc + external flash for indoors or vc version?
VC is switched off for the measurements.

VC (or any form of optical stabilization) won't help you with fast moving subjects. To freeze motion of the subject, you need fast shutter speeds, not a stabilized lens.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Canon really nailed this one. So far, there has been no equivalent for the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS that can touch its performance.
Yep. However, if there is no need for optical stabiization, the non-VC version of the Tamron 17-50 offers tremendous value for a quite low price. In addition, it's a very compact lens.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='thw' timestamp='1310131261' post='9814']

Canon really nailed this one. So far, there has been no equivalent for the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS that can touch its performance.

[/quote]

The Oly 12-60/2.8-4 can.