Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choice of a new reflex camera
Hi everyone,

I'v decided to buy a reflex camera and I need an advice. Not more than 650 euros is an acceptable price. First of all it should be of high quality.

I've heard that it's better to choose Nikon or Canon but I'm not sure.

Please, help me with this choice.
Not sure what you mean by "high quality", but you will only get low-end, entry level equipment at that price point.
I don't know the best choices at this price point. Assuming that the camera won't be a Nikon D3s or a Canon 5D Mk2, can anyone out there offer some help to a sincere newbie with a valid request for assistance? My first camera wasn't a "high quality top of the line camera", either.

Wateaman in Montanaland.
[quote name='edge' timestamp='1307061593' post='9006']

Not sure what you mean by "high quality", but you will only get low-end, entry level equipment at that price point.

[/quote]

Low end does not mean low quality. For example in Canon-land you get the same sensor, and essentially the same output, from the 550D, 600D, 60D and 7D. Where they differ is not directly in the imaging capability, but the functionality you get around it. The differences between current and previous generation sensors are generally pretty small in the big picture, however much people on the internet may exaggerate every little difference. Generally speaking, don't emphasise image quality too much providing it is "good enough", but consider the camera functionality and availability of lenses that may be desired in due course.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Right, but don't expect a magnesium alloy body, but rather a plastic body that may feel a bit "cheap".

[quote name='popo' timestamp='1307100724' post='9011']

Low end does not mean low quality. For example in Canon-land you get the same sensor, and essentially the same output, from the 550D, 600D, 60D and 7D. Where they differ is not directly in the imaging capability, but the functionality you get around it. The differences between current and previous generation sensors are generally pretty small in the big picture, however much people on the internet may exaggerate every little difference. Generally speaking, don't emphasise image quality too much providing it is "good enough", but consider the camera functionality and availability of lenses that may be desired in due course.

[/quote]
I would recommend you buy a Nikon D90, which at the moment is a lot of camera for little money. It sells about 600€ in Europe.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1307107499' post='9015']

I would recommend you buy a Nikon D90, which at the moment is a lot of camera for little money. It sells about 600€ in Europe.

[/quote]

Good choice, add a Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR and a Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G and a perfect value for money setup. Only I would suggest to try the camera before, I never liked the Nikon handling myself and prefer Pentax, but that is very personal.
[quote name='hen_cock' timestamp='1307045283' post='9003']

Hi everyone,

I'v decided to buy a reflex camera and I need an advice. Not more than 650 euros is an acceptable price. First of all it should be of high quality.

I've heard that it's better to choose Nikon or Canon but I'm not sure.

Please, help me with this choice.

[/quote]

All DSLRs are more or less "high quality" capable. Problem is the lens, yoru budget does not allow for even one "high quality" lens. What are your future plans? Any ideas on what kind of lenses you might want?

If you have any idea of which direction you might want to go photography and lens wise. that might help in deciding which body to choose.

Anyway, in case you have no idea yet about lenses and future wished purchases, What are your ideas on what you want o photograph with it now?

One of the best budget DSLR bodies, with a huge and varied lens line up to grow into in future, which also fits your budget, is the Canon EOS 550D with kit lens.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

First of all I'd like to specify whether it's reasonable to limit the choice only between Canon and Nikon.

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1307112002' post='9019']

All DSLRs are more or less "high quality" capable. Problem is the lens, yoru budget does not allow for even one "high quality" lens. What are your future plans? Any ideas on what kind of lenses you might want?

If you have any idea of which direction you might want to go photography and lens wise. that might help in deciding which body to choose.

Anyway, in case you have no idea yet about lenses and future wished purchases, What are your ideas on what you want o photograph with it now?

One of the best budget DSLR bodies, with a huge and varied lens line up to grow into in future, which also fits your budget, is the Canon EOS 550D with kit lens.

[/quote]

I suppose that the main plots of my future photos will be the following: nature, animals, landscapes, valleys, dales, mountains, views of cities, architecture and certainly people but mostly in situations stated above and also some sport events such as football matches.

Will it be sagnificant difference between color depth 36 and 48 bit, max sensitivity 3200 and 6400, exposure range +/- 2 and +/- 5?

Is vari-angle screen really very useful?

What number of picrures is enough for RAW?
If you look around you can usually find previous model NOS for very inexpensive on line. I picked up a rebel 450d a couple of years ago that way when the 500 came along. Can't complain about it's performance at all in any aspect. It's become my grab and go p&s with a lot of extra capability when needed. Then you can put more money on a decent lens.