Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS
Expected more ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff...00f4556oss

"16 elements in 13 groups inc. 3x aspherical, 2xED, 4x aspherical elements"

??

[Image: Sony-FE-70-300-Lens-Diagram.jpg]

At least, according to the specs, the lens has less negative focus breathing than the Canon L.

There's always something ;-)

One of the many criticisms amongst the anti Sony movement (and it's super strong at the moment) is it's lens situation, they have added some very good glass, one wonders why "when" Sony is so well placed in technology, that it couldn't have found a better solution to a lens of this standard type.

Expensively mediocre........I wouldn't change to Sony in order to buy this lens!!  :unsure:
You have analysis twice (click able links); very minor. Seems like when it comes to lenses sony continues to under-perform and over price compare to the competition - esp disheartening when you compare to sigma recent offerings.

Oh, yes, thx, folks :-)

Thanks for the review. Please move on to review the better lenses in the FE range such as Sony 85/1.8 and Loxia 21

"Sony just released the FE 70-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS (to the right below, yet to be tested). It's a GM lens so we can probably expect higher image standards here ... in conjunction with a double price tag."

Actually, the upcoming lens is a 100-400, not 70-400

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3259521271...m-oss-lens

Quote: 

Expensively mediocre........I wouldn't change to Sony in order to buy this lens!!  :unsure:

I think what they have in mind is that you don't change for this lens, you change for other reasons and you're stuck with buying such a mediocre lens at such an high price.

And after sometime, it becomes OK for you. Look at me now, I'm looking at the numbers and graphs and I'm thinking to myself... the lens ain't bad at all. Especially in the center. Maybe I should buy this...
From a real world perspective the lens is good, yes. We have to remember that we are talking about 42mp here. 

Quote:I think what they have in mind is that you don't change for this lens, you change for other reasons and you're stuck with buying such a mediocre lens at such an high price.

And after sometime, it becomes OK for you. Look at me now, I'm looking at the numbers and graphs and I'm thinking to myself... the lens ain't bad at all. Especially in the center. Maybe I should buy this...
Why stuck? I thought with Sony you can use any lens while retaining stabilization and autofocus?

OTOH yes, Sony system is immature it still needs time, it took EOS system more than 30 years to get here