Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cell phone IQ and the future of camera systems
Nice photos THXBB12!

I really like HDR effects, and it is a great example of something that is not very convenient to do with a DSLR with the so-called in camera processing.  My 70D has the capability but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't as a rule improve a photo.  The exposure time, I guess is too long, and/or the software does not align the frames correctly.  On top of that Canon obviously is conservative to let the photographer determine how far to boost the dynamic range, so even when not blurred, there's no noticeable improvement.

If you have a golf ball lying around, try taking a photo...I'm sure you'll have better luck than I had with my iPhone.  The thing is:  And I admit it!  It is so much easier to get a picture with my camera, that I don't use my phone camera except when I have no choice.  My iPhone has HDR to, but I just get frustrated with menu driven camera controls, and a touch screen that doesn't have any tactile feed back so you can watch your subjects and not your camera.

I think your photos were very interesting!  Probably beyond what an iPhone 5s can do, or maybe I just don't have the patience. 

I have had some fun with HDR shots taken using a tripod.  But even then I was only able to get surreal looking effects, and not the theoretical detail enhancement.  HDR along with Focus Stacking and Sensor Shift induced larger simulated sensor size and are probably going to come to small imager mirrorless systems first.  Meanwhile, I see a lot of traditional photographers (subconsciously?) undersaturating their photos for a bland, traditional look.  Undersharpening, too.  Well, it's just a matter of preference I guess.

Messages In This Thread
Cell phone IQ and the future of camera systems - by Guest - 05-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Cell phone IQ and the future of camera systems - by Arthur Macmillan - 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Cell phone IQ and the future of camera systems - by davidmanze - 05-03-2017, 04:15 PM