Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D (FX)
Pretty sharp lens, as most normal primes, but in summary inferior to the newer AF-S:

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/44...rafd5014ff

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

4 reviews in one day, nice!

Maybe you should come up with a measurement for focus shift. And say whether the shift stays within DOF.
[quote name='mst' timestamp='1304899783' post='8160']

Pretty sharp lens, as most normal primes, but in summary inferior to the newer AF-S:

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/44...rafd5014ff

-- Markus

[/quote]

I can't seem to load the bokeh fringing section on this 50mm 1.4D FX review. Is anyone else having this issue?

Also, Markus, which do you feel is the better lens optically at 1.8 or 2.0: The 50mm 1.4D or the new 50mm 1.8G? I believe that the 50mm 1.8G may have the edge for tracking fast moving subjects due to the SWM. Thanks in advance!
[quote name='[PB]' timestamp='1307205145' post='9029']

I can't seem to load the bokeh fringing section on this 50mm 1.4D FX review. Is anyone else having this issue? [/quote]

Works for me. What's the error you're seeing? Does any of the images load?

[quote name='[PB]' timestamp='1307205145' post='9029']

Also, Markus, which do you feel is the better lens optically at 1.8 or 2.0: The 50mm 1.4D or the new 50mm 1.8G? I believe that the 50mm 1.8G may have the edge for tracking fast moving subjects due to the SWM.

[/quote]

It depends a bit where your preferences are. Personally, I'd go with the AF-S 50/1.8 because of its better bokeh.

I did not try tracking subjects. In general, the AF-D lenses (both f/1.4 and f/1.8) focus faster on my cameras, but the difference is not really noticeable for small focus changes. The precision of AF-S lenses when tracking might be higher, though.

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1307261593' post='9043']

Works for me. What's the error you're seeing? Does any of the images load?

It depends a bit where your preferences are. Personally, I'd go with the AF-S 50/1.8 because of its better bokeh.

I did not try tracking subjects. In general, the AF-D lenses (both f/1.4 and f/1.8) focus faster on my cameras, but the difference is not really noticeable for small focus changes. The precision of AF-S lenses when tracking might be higher, though.

-- Markus

[/quote]

Thanks for your fast response!

I'm still having the issue in Firefox; but I tried Safari and the bokeh fringing images show up fine there. Weird. In Firefox, the images don't load, and when I hover the cursor over where the images should be, it says: 'java script:void(0)'

It could just be something funky with my Firefox. Firefox loads the bokeh fringing section in other photozone.de reviews just fine. I've only noticed the issue with the 1.4D FX review.

I'm thinking I'll probably trade in the 50 1.4D for the AF-S 50mm 1.8G. Of course, I'll compare them in the shop before.

There are two things that annoy me about the 1.4D on my D700. Firstly is the amount of haloing this lens has wide open. The low contrast I can deal with, but the haloing looks terrible. Because of this, I only use this lens at F2.0 anyways. Secondly, in low light conditions, the 50mm 1.4D has too much trouble focusing on moving subjects. I was covering a hip hop live show, and the 1.4D on my D700 had a terrible time trying to grab focus on moving subjects; whereas the 35mm 1.8 AF-S (when I had a D300) was able to handle the same situation (covering the same hip hop group earlier) relatively quite well. I would *assume* that the 50mm 1.8G AF-S would have similar focusing performance to the 35mm 1.8G AF-S.

When I compare the bokeh fringing section on the two lenses (with the 50mm 1.4D in Safari) the 50mm 1.8G looks pretty similar at 1.8 as the 50mm 1.4D at 2.0.

Do you notice much haloing with the 50mm 1.8G at either 1.8 or 2.0?

Cheers!