Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade
I currently own a Nikon D40 with only the kit lens. I am looking to upgrade to a new system. I have been impresed with hands on of both the Sony A55, A33, I have also looked at the new D5100 was not overly impressed.

The reviews have read on the Sony's have been favorable. There always seems to an issue with image quality.

Is the image quality overstated since it is not one of the big two or is it a legimate issue?
[quote name='Bradley A' timestamp='1304686049' post='8097']

I currently own a Nikon D40 with only the kit lens. I am looking to upgrade to a new system. I have been impresed with hands on of both the Sony A55, A33, I have also looked at the new D5100 was not overly impressed.

The reviews have read on the Sony's have been favorable. There always seems to an issue with image quality.

Is the image quality overstated since it is not one of the big two or is it a legimate issue?

[/quote]

I have not read any issues regarding image quality, besides the occurrence of ghost lights in dusk-till-dawn photography! Especially the A55v has a very nice sensor, performing as well as the modern Canon, Pentax and Nikon DSLRs.

The things I personally don't like about the A33/55v are those ghost lights, but if one does not shoot night scenes with some bright lights in the scene, one may never encounter them. And the electronic view finder, not my thing at all. And the quicker heat up of the camera using live view (you have to) and image stabilization.

I do not care about is so-so video implementation, because I do not shoot video... So, if you can live with the EVF, and don't have an issue with the ghost light phenomenon, and like how they handle, I don't see why you can not be happy with an A55v. It is a step up in possible IQ over your D40.

Of course, best achievable IQ relies a lot on how good a lens you use.

So, provided you do not have the issues with these Sony SLT's that I have, I would say: go for it!
[quote name='Bradley A' timestamp='1304686049' post='8097']I currently own a Nikon D40 with only the kit lens. I am looking to upgrade to a new system.[/quote]

What do you expect to gain from an upgrade?
The D40 is slow focusing, and sometimes errant. An up grade would give me more mps and an improvement in image quality. I would like to have a a camera with more features, a camera that I could build a system around with lens etc.
[quote name='Bradley A' timestamp='1304770856' post='8114']

The D40 is slow focusing, and sometimes errant. An up grade would give me more mps and an improvement in image quality. I would like to have a a camera with more features, a camera that I could build a system around with lens etc.

[/quote]

Cameras come and go. If you think about a system then look at the lenses that are available from each manufacturer. If you have an idea what kinds of lenses you eventually want to buy, this may narrow the choice down.

Concerning the slow focusing, it is most probably the lens and not the camera. The built-in motor of the kit lens is slow. I had a D40 and with a given lens it was not focusing slower than the D90 I have now. Thus, I guess that going for a Sony camera with kit lens will not satisfy you either.