Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What equipment is better for monitor/printer calibration?
Hi everybody,

I am looking for advice on monitor calibration equipment for my two displays (one - notebook HP and another - HP ZR24w). The professional or at least semi-professional calibration equipment will do. Right now I don't have a proper scanner and printer for photo prints, but may be will get one in the nearest future. I can print out my work in the printer at some small photo studio at my Photo School.

I would very appreciate your advice on calibration equipment. What experience you have and which one could recommend me.

I have tryed just GretagMacbeth Eye-One at my Photo School. Can't say any particular things about this one, because I haven't printed out from my notebook.

In the Internet I haven't found much worthy information about the calibration equipment. Everybody promoting their own trade mark. Right now I have in mind two possibilities, but I'm not very satisfied with their reviews in the Internet. They are Spyder 3 Studio SR from ColorVision and X-Rite Colormunki Photo from X-Rite.

Someone recommended X-Rite i1XT, but It's Very Expensive. So, I would rather buy a good new Nikon lens for this money.

I'm very thankful in advance for your answers!
I use the Spyder 3 Studio version succesfully. However, for screen calibration I use Color Eye Pro software rather than the original Spyder software. The CE one is more accurate, and works well with the Spyder calibration tool. Especially important for better screens. I found no difference for my old Samsung screen, which actually calibrated very well, especially for the type of screen it is, but my NEC needed the Color Eye Pro software to get optimal results.

As to the print calibration part: that is a bit of a pain to use, but it works very well indeed. I even calibrated for the printer I use at my local photoretailer, who still do quality in house printing.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I had Spyder 2. It is piece of s...