Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stolen Gear
Hello! Been a long time! So my Canon Rebel T2I along with a Sigma 17-70/2.8-4, Tamrac Backpack, and 550ex flash, and other goodies, were recently stolen. This was my vacation setup, and often my just grab and go camera. Luckily I'm insured.

Now I have the opportunity to try something newer. This will still be used for the same thing. Which is to say I want something small and light to carry around on vacation.

There are a few setups that are really intriguing me, particularly the mirrorless cameras. All three are withing a couple of hundred to each other, so that's not an issue. What I'm looking at are:

1. The Sony Alpha 6300 with the 16-50 and 55-210 lenses. This is smallest and lightest. Overall I question the lens quality. 

2. The Canon EOS M5 with 18-150 lens. It's a Canon, better ergo, I would assume a better lens, it's a single lens that covers most the ranges I'll use, reviews like the colors better! However, the Sony seems to pretty much outperform it in most ways including iso and focus speed, accuracy, low level light, and even video.

3. The Rebel T6I with the 18-135 and 55-250, both STM. The pluses are it's the least expensive and probably overall the best performing setup, and if needed though I rarely ever did before, I could use with other Canon lenses I own.

I guess what I'm really asking of you is to help me choose!

Thanks

Looks like you like small cameras and a basic two-lens zoom setup. I can share my experience with the ones you are thinking of and maybe suggest something else as well.

1. A6300 is a great little camera that fixes a lot of the (albeit very minor) issues A6000 has. However, I really think 16-50 does not do the camera justice. I like how tiny it is and how relatively wide it is though. I had the 55-210 in the past and got rid of it at the first chance. It is slow to focus and not really a good performer optically neither. Weight is good though.

2. Eos M5 is a good looking camera IIRC and having a single lens is kinda practical too. However, personally I wouldn't like the 18mm on Canon APS-C compared to 16mm on Sony. I like using that angle when I'm vacationing but that's personal.

3. Rebel T6I is, as you've predicted, probably the best performing one. Again though, I wouldn't like the 18mm on the wide end and I don't really like the small viewfinder neither.

So far, I'd go for the Sony. Even though the lenses are far from perfect, it is a very tiny and capable camera.

4. Here is my other suggestion, have you had a look at Fuji? You can probably get a X-T20 which is relatively in the same price ballpark as the A6300. You will, however, end up with a better kit lens (16-55), even though it's a bit larger. 50-230 performs pretty much similar to Sony's 55-210 too but Fuji has a 55-200 and that lens is an amazing performer for me. Again, a bit heavier though.

5. Sony RX10 series are awesome, have you had a look? 

If you value compactness, how about MFT?

Lenses:
  • Panasonic 12-32 f3.5-5.6 pancake
  • Panasonic 45-150 f3.5-5.6
Body, one of these two:
  • Olympus E-M10 Mark II
  • Panasonic GX80/85
Throw in an Olympus 17 f1.8 or 25 f1.8 for low light situations and you're all set!

As far as size/weight, it's difficult to beat it IMHO.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Hi mike sorry to hear that.

My obvious choice in fact would be 80D plus 18-135

Canon 18-135 IMHO is one of the best performing kit lenses, much better than the competition, only "kit lens" that would equal it is Canon 15-85 but it's more expensive. Dunno about Nikon land but you don't seem interested in Nikon.

Of course you know the limitations and advantages of mirrorless, personally I wouldn't jump mirrorless for the time being especially that outside canon world the lenses are quite expensive, cheap ones have a very poor performance.

If you want to save some $$$ 77D is a viable option however I would really like to have the big and bright viewfinder of 80D.

Have many friends That tried mirrorless all of them switched back, keep in mind that a6300 is not A9 and the viewfinder and AF performances are worlds apart, 80D plus 18-135 would be my very reasonable choice
Thanks for the replies!

Obican: Perhaps I should give the Fuji x-a20 a look? I skipped over it because it's not available at B&H or Adorama right now. A friend just sold his 5d and L lenses for a mirrorless Fuji. Shocked me, bu he loves it. I should see which model he got. I like retro easy to get to controls for sure. Review wise the 6300 appears to have a performance edge on the a10.

thxbb12: I can't seem to sell myself on the 4:3 systems. It may be all I need to carry around? The size and weight differences are definitely in the lenses. You'll surely stick out less with it. I do have a soft spot for Oly: my first real camera was an OM-2n.

edit: I'll add that when by buddy takes out his Oly when we're at the pub nobody takes notice. 

toni-a: The reason I got the rebel originally is because I was tired of carrying around my heavier slr's. The 80D is a half pound heavier than the rebel. It's quite a bit bigger too. I've lugged around my 1d before....yikes that's a boat anchor. The T6I is still a consideration. As mentioned, I do have glass for it.

I got about a month before my next trip to sort it out.... decisions.

Quote:Thanks for the replies!

Obican: Perhaps I should give the Fuji x-a20 a look? I skipped over it because it's not available at B&H or Adorama right now. A friend just sold his 5d and L lenses for a mirrorless Fuji. Shocked me, bu he loves it. I should see which model he got. I like retro easy to get to controls for sure. Review wise the 6300 appears to have a performance edge on the a10.

thxbb12: I can't seem to sell myself on the 4:3 systems. It may be all I need to carry around? The size and weight differences are definitely in the lenses. You'll surely stick out less with it. I do have a soft spot for Oly: my first real camera was an OM-2n.

edit: I'll add that when by buddy takes out his Oly when we're at the pub nobody takes notice. 

toni-a: The reason I got the rebel originally is because I was tired of carrying around my heavier slr's. The 80D is a half pound heavier than the rebel. It's quite a bit bigger too. I've lugged around my 1d before....yikes that's a boat anchor. The T6I is still a consideration. As mentioned, I do have glass for it.

I got about a month before my next trip to sort it out.... decisions.
What other lenses do you own ?

For me micro AF adjustment is a must,that's why I was talking about 80D, otherwise the rebel is an excellent camera, I own one and can assure it is more than great, I even tested it, in the field versus fuji Xti and it was a clear winner (although comparison was unfair because of kit lens on fuji versus 15-85 on the rebel) aside absence of micro AF adjustment, absolutely no complaints about my rebel. and don't underestimate canon 18-135 USM was already great, micro USM autofocus should be even better, on the side of glass quality it's a clear winner with much lower price, you will barely need 55-250 and I suggest you skip it.
Quote:What other lenses do you own ?

For me micro AF adjustment is a must,that's why I was talking about 80D, otherwise the rebel is an excellent camera, I own one and can assure it is more than great, I even tested it, in the field versus fuji Xti and it was a clear winner (although comparison was unfair because of kit lens on fuji versus 15-85 on the rebel) aside absence of micro AF adjustment, absolutely no complaints about my rebel. and don't underestimate canon 18-135 USM was already great, micro USM autofocus should be even better, on the side of glass quality it's a clear winner with much lower price, you will barely need 55-250 and I suggest you skip it.

Hi Toni, I have fast glass from 24-70L through a 300/2.8 L. Unfortunately my uw zoom vanished with my rebel kitSad Depending where I'm going I'll bring this gear with me. But I'm really looking for compact easy to carry around camera, but with the ability to get a quality shot when needed. In that aspect it's better to have the 55-250 in my backpack for when I need a longer lens than not having a larger zoom at all. Also, if you look at the multi lens kit I was referring to, they're pretty much giving you the lens.

I'm still leaning towards a mirrorless for the application I'm looking for. Even the mtf is catching my attention. My friend I mentioned above takes great street photography pics with his. I think part of it is it being so inconspicuous. People think it's a P&S. He has a couple of ultra fast lenses too.  
Quote:Hi Toni, I have fast glass from 24-70L through a 300/2.8 L. Unfortunately my uw zoom vanished with my rebel kitSad Depending where I'm going I'll bring this gear with me. But I'm really looking for compact easy to carry around camera, but with the ability to get a quality shot when needed. In that aspect it's better to have the 55-250 in my backpack for when I need a longer lens than not having a larger zoom at all. Also, if you look at the multi lens kit I was referring to, they're pretty much giving you the lens.

I'm still leaning towards a mirrorless for the application I'm looking for. Even the mtf is catching my attention. My friend I mentioned above takes great street photography pics with his. I think part of it is it being so inconspicuous. People think it's a P&S. He has a couple of ultra fast lenses too.  
while mirrorlessis very attractive, I have several friends who tried it and switched back to SLR

try a mirrorless body before (seriously try it for a day or two not in the shop) if you feel comfortable with it of course go for it.

better spend some $$ renting a camera before buying it than having to resell
Quote:Thanks for the replies!

X-A series don't really have great AF. Maybe the latest one does (X-A3?) but my gf had picked one up and put it back down after trying one in the showroom. X-E and X-T series have much better AF. Even X-T10 has quite good AF if you need to stay within a tighter budget.
The X-A series don't have view finders (either). The current models are x-t2 and x-t20; the old ones x-t1 and x-t10 are a little less expensive (esp the x-t1). the '2' have faster af and 20mp vs 16mp as well as faster processors (more fps). There is also an x-e2 (x-e3 will be released in near future - avoid the x-e1 - crappy af).

-

Anyway if you have friends with oly and fuji don't ask here - check them out and talk to your friends. There is no right answer here - but the camera you enjoy using is the one you will carry and take the most pictures....