Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD (FX)
As announced earlier, the review of the A009 model of the Tamron lens. The G2 is on its way to the lab, too.

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/10...70200f28fx

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Oh, forgot: I DID proof read, but only once, so I likely left something for JoJu and Rover Wink

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

Sorry, darling, I don't waste time on proof reading for outdated lenses  Tongue outdated DSLR-lenses, that is. And a focal length I don't care much about. But thanks for the work anyway

:lol:

"The current and slightly updated G2 version (model A025) will also be reviewed, soon." 

Not sure if the revamped lens construction can be called just slight (even though the two do have a resemblance)?

"There is no dediated dedicated mode for panning, you'll have to rely on the lens to reliably detect panning movement."

"The actual amounts are fairly low, though, less than most competitors" Comma after though is not needed.

"Vignetting and CAs are well controlled, bokeh quite smooth for a zoom lens and distortion, while still present and visible, below average for this lens class."

I would prefer an "is" after bokeh, as now it harks back on the "are" from vignetting and CAs.

"Build quality is very good and nothing really to complain about, even though in direct comparison to Nikon's and Canon's lenses in this market segments it feels a little less sturdy."

Rather: "Build quality is very good and even though in direct comparison to Nikon's and Canon's lenses in this market segments it feels a little less sturdy, nothing really to complain about."

bokeh quite smooth for a zoom lens and distortion, while still present and visible, below average for this lens class.

Really below average means worse!

"bokeh is quite smooth for a zoom lens and distortion, while still present and visible, is "better than average" for this class of lens."

"Build quality is very good and even though in direct comparison to Nikon's and Canon's lenses in this market segments it feels a little less sturdy, nothing really to complain about."

Err...BC?

The build quality is very good, however, in comparison to Nikon's and Canon's lenses in this market segment, it feels a little less sturdy,.....

All that aside, I think we want to see the test of the G2....well both of them the 70-200mm and the 150-600mm.

Don't go back under the table Markus!..  Tongue

Guys, you should write your own lens tests!  Huh

Big Grin

Just to see how difficult it is with such super-attentive readers. Compared to what I read in the net elsewhere, it's high class literature - and seeing me doing more mistakes in 4 lines than Markus in 3 pages I just need to realize I'm no native speaker and everything is fine again.

Always wonder about statements like "until diffraction kicks in at f/11" - clearly, the center is diffraction-limited by f/5.6. This applies to many reviews...

I was out in the field so I decided to leave that for later - and Brightcolours, you beat me to that one. Smile

Quote:Always wonder about statements like "until diffraction kicks in at f/11" - clearly, the center is diffraction-limited by f/5.6. This applies to many reviews...
Indeed, it should be more like "until diffraction really starts to limit sharpness". And the sharpening in the PZ MTF workflow does mask the effect  (the amount) a bit.

Lenstip shows diffraction softening a bit more clearly because of that:

3880_roz_centr.jpg

Quote:Indeed, it should be more like "until diffraction really starts to limit sharpness". And the sharpening in the PZ MTF workflow does mask the effect  (the amount) a bit.

Lenstip shows diffraction softening a bit more clearly because of that:

3880_roz_centr.jpg

"Diffraction kicks in at f/5.6, causing sharpness to drop to "very good" levels by f/11".

Whatever. I brought this up before. What the reviewers mean to say is that by f/X, diffraction has reduced sharpness by one "school mark", usually excellent to very good. I know it's a really minor point, but I wonder why, if this is what is meant, something else is actually stated (specifically, that diffraction effects become visible at f/X - when clearly diffraction effects are visible in the test data several f-stops before).

This may seem minor, but in fact, a lens for which diffraction "kicks in" only at f/11 is usually not very good. Having the center diffraction-limited at f/5.6 is a good sign (f/4 even better). So there's actually something to be learned from the data that is currently not paid much attention to. Anyway, I'll stop now. Smile