Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Things are not that rosy at Pentax
#11
  They say there's no smoke without fire!

 

  The Ricoh "denial" well.....time will tell.

 

  Probably the only producer not feeling the pinch...Fuji?

Dave's clichés
#12
With all its exposure on forums, you'd think that Fuji sells a lot. The available retail figures suggest differently, though. One light point for Fuji, the people who do buy into the X mount do seem to buy the primes. For Sony APS-C, Canon and Olympus mirrorless most of the customers just buy it with the kit lens. 

 

That being said, it is fine for Fuji to be small. In the past (talking about film era), compared the units moved to nowadays, Canon, Minolta and Nikon were small too, and did just fine.

#13
Sometimes gone fires still smoke. Anyway, I would not bet much on the faith of Pentax/Ricoh.

 

I think, Sigma's Foveon department is as well not feeling the pinch, otherwise they would try to hire decent software engineers, and they are part of a pretty strongly running lens fab.

 

Hasselblad is also (in their dimensions) facing the problems to not being able to deliver enough items. I'm not a fan of them, but I'm a fan of brands who come up with something real good, freshly thought, thinking out of the box and get the success they deserve.

#14
Contrary to popular belief, there can be smoke without a fire.

Also, in large quantities smoke would impair your vision to the point you would be unable to see the truth in front of your eyes.

 

We'll see about Ricoh Imaging, and Pentax in particular. Everything at Ricoh would likely go through some scrutiny (copiers especially, and the entire U.S. operations), but so far there's no reason to panic regarding our brand.

#15
Make that "our brand" "my brand" and I'm with you in all points  Wink Or did you mean "us Pentax owners"? Then it's fine.

 

I fully agree, future and not rumors will tell, no matter how much smoke is involved.

 

Pentax was supposed to die so many times before and they are still alive and kicking and working on great products. If one can ignore the feeling "next time the rumor says Pentax is out of business it could be true" and see what Pentax has to offer, compare it to the need and find a match, then it's the brand to go. The bigger brands try play safe side only, Pentax does not mind to take risks. And even if they run out of business, that doesn't mean the cameras stop functioning. Yashica is out of business fort decades and I still can put a roll of film in one.

#16
I can't say that I was ever overly impressed by Pentax lenses (exceptions apply) but their cameras have something.

#17
Actually I think Pentax is already dead since ages, but not in the strict sense of meaning, it already died for its previous owners who sold it to Ricoh. Pentax dying now just means Ricoh losing  interest in it and selling it.

IMHO Ricoh are not stupid enough to kill a good brand name like Pentax, like did Microsoft with Nokia, (BTW I don't think killing Minolta by Sony was a smart move, they would have gained more customers by keeping A mount Minolta and e mount Sony) What would happen for Pentax is just changing owners, I am sure there are plenty of Chinese companies looking forward for acquiring a good brand name like Pentax that will boost their sales
#18
Quote:Make that "our brand" "my brand" and I'm with you in all points  Wink Or did you mean "us Pentax owners"? Then it's fine.

 

I fully agree, future and not rumors will tell, no matter how much smoke is involved.

 

Pentax was supposed to die so many times before and they are still alive and kicking and working on great products. If one can ignore the feeling "next time the rumor says Pentax is out of business it could be true" and see what Pentax has to offer, compare it to the need and find a match, then it's the brand to go. The bigger brands try play safe side only, Pentax does not mind to take risks. And even if they run out of business, that doesn't mean the cameras stop functioning. Yashica is out of business fort decades and I still can put a roll of film in one.
 

Yes, "us Pentax owners" - even on Pentaxforums I'd mean it like that Wink

 

I'm not sure Pentax (Ricoh Imaging) is taking risks - IMO they're overly cautious, even about the full frame; but you're right about that feeling, you have to learn to live with it. Or ignore the constant FUD Smile
#19
Quote:I can't say that I was ever overly impressed by Pentax lenses (exceptions apply) but their cameras have something.
 

I'm curious if you would call the new D FA* primes impressive... but first, Ricoh has to launch them on the market.

 

Quote:Actually I think Pentax is already dead since ages, but not in the strict sense of meaning, it already died for its previous owners who sold it to Ricoh. Pentax dying now just means Ricoh losing  interest in it and selling it.

IMHO Ricoh are not stupid enough to kill a good brand name like Pentax, like did Microsoft with Nokia, (BTW I don't think killing Minolta by Sony was a smart move, they would have gained more customers by keeping A mount Minolta and e mount Sony) What would happen for Pentax is just changing owners, I am sure there are plenty of Chinese companies looking forward for acquiring a good brand name like Pentax that will boost their sales
 

The previous owners, that's Hoya. IMO Hoya did serious damage to the Pentax camera brand, and that happened when the market was growing. Ricoh OTOH is fighting against a declining market - yet they gave us the full frame.

#20
Quote:I'm curious if you would call the new D FA* primes impressive... but first, Ricoh has to launch them on the market.

 
 

 

That's the story of Pentax in the digital era for you.
  


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread:
2 Guest(s)