Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Nikon 1 V3 is ...
... discontinued now. So the Nikon 1 lineup has no top-spec model anymore.

The announced special edition DSLR models for the 100y anniversary feel almost as if Nikon is following Leica now ...

Nikon marked their 100 years anniversary as follows: Canceled new products (DL), discontinued a whole line of products, and "repainting" old products. Big Grin.

This is exactly what every Nikon user wished for... We are done being photographers, we can become collectors now.

Collectors of glass models of cameras. Big Grin

Quote:... discontinued now. So the Nikon 1 lineup has no top-spec model anymore.

Yes, I thought that this would be be the case when I got my V3+lens for 399€.

But after getting back from vacation where I used the V3, V1 and J1 I have now realized that IQ-wise even the J1 is good enough. I have no plans to "upgrade" for the foreseeable future and I'd bet that there are a lot of folks just like me.
Sure, but that definitely doesn't encourage current users to buy new lenses if the system is dead.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Except some stores throw out there stock and one is happy with the tiny and speedy Nikon 1 cameras.

I think it's a pity that Nikon didn't put ore effort and better low light capabilities (maybe with a low res sensor) in it. Certain features I did like - just never enough to get me one. There were the 3 versions of the V-model, until one came out with a plug-in finder. Would have been a cool thing to get short distance wireless connection with a free to handle finder, while the camera takes a difficult or dangerous position, but that would have been way too innovative for granny Nikon.

There was always something very interesting for me and something very odd, like a cool feature from the predecessor just skipped away. I could never come over me to open my wallet wide enough.

Quote:. There were the 3 versions of the V-model, until one came out with a plug-in finder. Would have been a cool thing to get short distance wireless connection with a free to handle finder, while the camera takes a difficult or dangerous position, but that would have been way too innovative for granny Nikon.

Don't Nikon models have remote live view ? With my canon 750D you can activate live view wirelessly on smartphones or PC you can easily handle the camera in difficult or dangerous position and shoot, you can even adjust image parameters. I expect Nikon entry models with wifi to have that since it's easy to implement.
 I'm placing a bet that for the actual anniversary, which I think is in August, there will be many new announcements.

A new DSLR/s with a RBGW sensor and a new mirror-less system, add to that a 300mm Fresnel prime  and a very wide angle zoom.............any cancellations are just to make financial space for these IMHO.

however,  it's just a verbal wager ....nothing fiscal!

The 300 mm Fresnel lens is already existing and the 14-24 neither really old nor really bad, soooo....? I'm sure I miss a point but which?

Quote: 

I think it's a pity that Nikon didn't put more effort and better low light capabilities (maybe with a low res sensor) in it. Certain features I did like - just never enough to get me one. There were the 3 versions of the V-model, until one came out with a plug-in finder. Would have been a cool thing to get short distance wireless connection with a free to handle finder, while the camera takes a difficult or dangerous position, but that would have been way too innovative for granny Nikon.

There was always something very interesting for me and something very odd, like a cool feature from the predecessor just skipped away. I could never come over me to open my wallet wide enough.

I don't think Nikon or anyone else could make the 1 cameras better in low light for some people.

The problem that has always existed is that people make their conclusions based on viewing at 100% on their monitors.

When you look at any of the 1 cameras (I have 4) on the screen, even at base ISO there is “noise”.

But when you print it is a different story. I have just printed a bunch with some that were taken with a V1 at ISO 800 and I assure you that there are no issues. Remember, the V1 is about 5 years old technology.

You can see the sizes of my prints in the image below with a comparison against the V3.

And before someone says “Oh, but there are no prints there that are A2 or bigger”, well I have a D800 for that and that is another story.