Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standard zoom for 5D (I)
I wrote:

"I am not to keen on this lens, because it's not worthwhile to use this lens isntead of the 17-40mm at 28mm."

I meant the 28mm/2.8 is not better than the 17-40mm/4.0 at 28mm, so that's why I haven't used this lens.

Best wishes,

Reinier
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1309867365' post='9750']

I wrote:

"I am not to keen on this lens, because it's not worthwhile to use this lens isntead of the 17-40mm at 28mm."

I meant the 28mm/2.8 is not better than the 17-40mm/4.0 at 28mm, so that's why I haven't used this lens.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

Nothing really is much better than the 17-40mm f4 L USM stopped down, lenses tend to be quite close at f5.6-f11.

The reason I (and I suspect also Wim) mentioned the 24mm f2.8, is that it tends to stand out a bit, being contrasty and sharp, with not a lot of barrel distortion, compared the other affordable primes and the wide ends of standard zooms. 24mm also usually is a bit more attractive to use than 28mm, when one wants a wide angle... so it might still be an interesting complement to any standard zoom you select, but that is for you to ponder over and decide about. Since you plan to get rid of your UWA, the 24mm f2.8 would not be competing with the 17-40mm f4 L USM anymore either... and it is a lot more compact and lightweight of course.

To me, the combination of standard zoom (the Tamron 28-75mm, Canon 24-85, 28-105, 28-135 IS have all been mentioned) and the 24mm f2.8 for distortion free, contrasty wide landscapes on a budget and lightweight/compact, seems like an ideal combination for you, to me. As you will not find a standard zoom with very little distortion at the wide end.

My ideal wide angle lenses for FF are the lovely 24mm f1.4 L USM II (I believe Wim has thatone). But it is expensive. The 24mm f2.8 is surprisingly good, and a very affordable alternative. I will be getting one for my current APS-C camera, in the near-ish future, for wide angle close up/macro stuff (and the 20mm f3.5 voigtlander), I will be using it for that purpose with 12mm extension tube.

Like Win mentions, the 24-105mm f4 L IS USM is a great standard zoom, but not without quite obvious barrel distortion at the wide end. With its 670 grams it is less heavy than the 24-70mm f2.8 which weighs a kilo, but that may still be more heavy than you want. The other mentioned alternatives then are weighing less.
Hi Reiner,

I think that the PZ fellows covers all possibility.

Few thinks to add, if they are applicable for you.

- Did you consider the lens build quality? sustain to sand and rain. unfortuantely often seen in the Netherlands.

- Do you accept lens swap and when?

I’m very keen for these two issues when I shoot North See seescapes. As you know it is always windy there.

- for low vantage point shoots I protect my pro grade lens with plastic back. There is no camera and lens that can sustain in such harsh condition.

- I never change lenses in beach/sand area.

- I don’t care for dust but for sand.

But again it is me. Maybe they don’t play such role for you.

I hope it helps to narrow your choise,

Greetings,

Miro
Hi Miro,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to visite Photozone lately and that's why I didn't answer you question. Please accept my apologies.

Of course build qaulity is important. I hope to buy a standard zoom lens which is well protected against dust and sand. (If I can afford it)

I do change lenses on the beach, even when it's windy. I do care about my euipment, but I don't see any harm in changing lenses. Just be careful with the blowing angle of the wind, so the sand doesn't enter your camera. Or I change lenses in my jacket or back.

I've never had a problem with sand with my analog EOS 5 and I have been on the beach in the most inclement weather. When I got home I cleaned my camera and lens with a cheap brush for the DIY store and it was fine again. And I must say I haven't found a cleaner camera than mine! I do take a bit more care with my digital camera, because of the sensor. But still I don't want to lose any photographs, which can happen when being to careful, so I take some risk. But that's part of the adventure and the drive to capture something beautiful.

Sorry again for the late reply.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[quote name='miro' timestamp='1309953451' post='9765']

Hi Reiner,

I think that the PZ fellows covers all possibility.

Few thinks to add, if they are applicable for you.

- Did you consider the lens build quality? sustain to sand and rain. unfortuantely often seen in the Netherlands.

- Do you accept lens swap and when?

I’m very keen for these two issues when I shoot North See seescapes. As you know it is always windy there.

- for low vantage point shoots I protect my pro grade lens with plastic back. There is no camera and lens that can sustain in such harsh condition.

- I never change lenses in beach/sand area.

- I don’t care for dust but for sand.

But again it is me. Maybe they don’t play such role for you.

I hope it helps to narrow your choise,

Greetings,

Miro

[/quote]