Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Ok, it took a while ... ;-)

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/888-fuji18135f3556

Well... At least you got that one off your chest...
The center resolution doesn't seem that bad even at 135mm; when compared to 55-200 and 100-400; but the rest of the lens: yuck.

How many 7.5× zooms starting at 27mm (equiv FF) are around which provide, say 4 stars? At the price of roughly 700$? I am far away from defending that lens. But as you get what you pay for... The Nikkor 18-200 is around the same rating and the Canon 18-200 (superficially searched in PZ database) even worse. So, where is the stellar performing 18-135 mm? I guess, if there is one, than not in this price region. 

At least it's [thundering-voice] "weather-resistant"! [/thundering-voice] and when taking pictures in the rain, sharpness is not the most important feature.

Quote:How many 7.5× zooms starting at 27mm (equiv FF) are around which provide, say 4 stars? At the price of roughly 700$? I am far away from defending that lens. But as you get what you pay for... The Nikkor 18-200 is around the same rating and the Canon 18-200 (superficially searched in PZ database) even worse. So, where is the stellar performing 18-135 mm? I guess, if there is one, than not in this price region. 

At least it's [thundering-voice] "weather-resistant"! [/thundering-voice] and when taking pictures in the rain, sharpness is not the most important feature.
The Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM and IS USM do outperform it? And are a lot cheaper?

Not sure how the Nikkor 18-140mm compares, as yet untested by Marcus.

Thanks Klaus. I was one of the readers who asked for this review many moons ago, and got what I deserved. Disappointing. Is this the fist one star for price/performance?

To restore your faith in superzooms I suggest you soon test the new Olympus 12-100 F4. By all accounts it appears to be pretty darn good but without PZ testing this remains to be confirmed (obviously Smile.

Quote:Ok, it took a while ... ;-)

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/888-fuji18135f3556
Thanks for the review, Klaus.

IQ is indeed not very good.

I suspect the Oly 12-100 is going to change this state of affair, albeit at a much higher price tag.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote:Thanks for the review, Klaus.

IQ is indeed not very good.

I suspect the Oly 12-100 is going to change this state of affair, albeit at a much higher price tag.
And with a smaller aperture throughout the range, too.
Well everything comes at a price, you can make some compromises for a travel lens or if you want a one lens setup.

It seems in line even slightly inferior to competitors like canon 18-135 for instance which does not justify its high price.

Here canon 18-135 is selling like hot cakes, despite all their local offers and impressive showroom where you can try all the gear, and having a big distribution chain (in Lebanon Fuji and Sigma and LG as well Fuji labs network are held by the same company) Fuji sales are quite low
The Canon 18-135 STM is pretty good I must say.

Even works on an APS-H camera in the longer range (though focus is sometimes all over the place, but you must understand it's not meant to work in these conditions anyway).