Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7D or 5D Mark II
[quote name='Pinhole' timestamp='1280746630' post='1450']

Good points, Scott - but it is different where I live. The small shops are often run by people who themselves are photographers and who enjoy what they're doing. The staff in electronics discounters are just cheap labour who might otherwise work in a supermarket or a call centre.

In Germany the main problem is, the big discounters have their handful of suppliers (Canon, Samsung, Sony, Hama) and you will never, ever, find a product from Zeiss, Singh Ray or Novoflex in these places. It's only the small shops that stock such 'exotic' items so you can actually see what you are buying.

And yes, I might pay 20% more, but I am helping keep someone in a job they enjoy and they won't be earning minimum wages like in the major retailers. Cheap is nice, but there's always a cost somewhere along the line.

[/quote]

We're further along that transition, I guess. America has very few interesting stores any more. Clothing, furniture, and food are all the same way, with large stores carrying undifferentiated products. Consequently, the average customer is generally left with few choices except on price. Sad.

I just returned from a visit to my tailoring shop in San Francisco. Nice folks who genuinely care about us, they had us over for dinner with their family while we were there. Can't get that kind of love from WalMart!

I'll agree with you that as more knowledgeable photographers we have to help those who provide quality goods and customer care, and educate the public on why they too should care about quality. Unfortunately, there are fewer retail stores here fitting that description.

Scott
[quote name='Scott' timestamp='1280950758' post='1499']

Have you considered the battery grip extension?

Scott

[/quote]

TOO big and too heavy. I long for the film days when the extra grips were half the size than todays and far more comfortable. For my old EOS 33 i always used the grip. The one I had for my 30d got sold immediately because it was so bulky, heavy and uncomrtable.