Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a light 17-20mm MF lens (to be adapted to EOS)
For my next holiday, I want to take 3 MF lenses with me ...

- a wide - a normal - a small tele

For the normal I already have a Zeiss 45mm f/2.8 and for the tele, I will use

my Adaptall-2 Tamron 90/2.5 macro ... but I have no experience with MF wides.

So far, I found images and descriptions of these lenses:

- Adaptall-2 Tamron 17mm f/3.5

- M42 Flektogon 20/4

- M42 Flektogon 20/2.8

- M42 Mir-20M f/3.5

- Voigtlaender Skopar 20/3.5 (nice + light, but I found the price quite bold, even used)

Can any recommend one of these (or something else) ... I'm willing to put

up to 200-250 Euros on a used lens .

Thanks ... Rainer
If you are using an APS-C camera and if you are shooting between f/8 and f/11, the Voigtlander 20mm is a great lens. The image quality isn't good until f/8.

I like the color rendition produced by the lens.

It is very flare-resistant even without the hood, so it's good for shooting into the sun.

The best thing is that it is tiny and can easily be carried.
[quote name='Rainer' date='09 July 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1278712569' post='928']

- M42 Flektogon 20/4

- M42 Flektogon 20/2.8

- M42 Mir-20M f/3.5

- Voigtlaender Skopar 20/3.5 (nice + light, but I found the price quite bold, even used)

Thanks ... Rainer

[/quote]

Hi Rainer,

I was going to suggest the Zeiss 21/2.8, which is an excellent lens ... until I saw your budget. Sorry I can't help here, but would you mind saying which adapter you use? I've been reluctant to start using adapters due to lack of reliable info on how they perform - and the idea of using M42 lenses is very intriguing.
[quote name='Rainer' date='09 July 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1278712569' post='928']

- M42 Flektogon 20/4

- M42 Flektogon 20/2.8

- M42 Mir-20M f/3.5

Thanks ... Rainer

[/quote]

What about 14mm ?
[quote name='edge' date='10 July 2010 - 01:43 AM' timestamp='1278719020' post='931']

If you are using an APS-C camera and if you are shooting between f/8 and f/11, the Voigtlander 20mm is a great lens.

[/quote]

No, It will be used on a 5D and a Film-300 ... I should have mentioned that, since some

lenses might have problems with mirror-clearance.

The Voigtlaender is a tempting lens ... but this is just a "fun-thing" for me, so

the price is jut too high.

[quote name='Pinhole' date='10 July 2010 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1278722842' post='932']

I was going to suggest the Zeiss 21/2.8, which is an excellent lens ... until I saw your budget.

Sorry I can't help here, but would you mind saying which adapter you use?

[/quote]

Yes ... the Zeiss is certainly a good lens, but is as certainly way out of my budget.

I have several MF lenses and I use no special brand of adapters (usually those

relatively cheap ones from chinese shops). No problems so far.

[quote name='Klaus' date='10 July 2010 - 07:01 AM' timestamp='1278738096' post='933']

What about 14mm ?

[/quote]

The Samyang? ... I thought about it. If it would be for the 5D only, it could be a way to go

... but there are three objections

... I want to use it for slide film as well, and the Samyang produces a strong wavy

distortion (which is plain ugly if uncorrected)

... on digital, I could use my Zenitar 16 for this and defish it

... 14 is already too wide for general use ... it could be a 4th lens below a 20, but as the

only wide lens, I don't know.

Or are there other 14mm options which are affordable?
Screw mount adapters for M42 lenses (like Tair or Jupiter) are very convenient for Pentax (K mount) users. But Canon's and especially Nikon's register index does not fit to this mount. Therefore, these lenses cannot focus to infinity if the adapter does not contain a lens (which has a negative effect to sharpness) or unless you change the outer ring of the lens to F-Mount or EOS mount. OTOH I saw some images taken with Tair 11A 135mm on 5D MK II and they were razor sharp.

Serkan

Sorry but this post was a reply to Pinhole... I don't know what I'm doing wrong... Is that because I chose "outline" for forum setup in my profile?
[quote name='PuxaVida' date='10 July 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1278760976' post='936']

Screw mount adapters for M42 lenses (like Tair or Jupiter) are very convenient for Pentax (K mount) users.

But Canon's and especially Nikon's register index does not fit to this mount.

[/quote]

Actually those are the register distances ...

Canon EOS/EF registers at 44.0mm

M42 registers at 45.5mm

Pentax-K registers at 45.5mm

Nikon-F registers at 46.5mm

So, everything can be adapted to EOS/EF without a problem (and without an additional lens in the adapter)

Nothhing can be adapted to Nikon.
[quote name='Rainer' date='10 July 2010 - 08:51 AM' timestamp='1278744673' post='934']

Or are there other 14mm options which are affordable?

[/quote]

Be prepared for a rather massive MTF and CA surprise here.

If you want a teaser:

http://photozone.smugmug.com/Reviews/samy14f28
Hi Rainer,

You could consider an Olympus Zuiko 21 F/3.5 if you can find one. This may well be an option. In the US it has cult status, but not so over here in Europe (yet).

Having owned a couple of Zuikos until fairly recently, I must say they are quite good. Just the manual everything got to me in the end, so I did away with them, not very long ago actually. However, if necessary, if you are interested, and 28 mm is enough, I can probably get that one back (28 F/3.5). It is supposed to be quite good too, but not very wide at all of course.

Then there is the K-mpunt SMC 20 F/4, or the later version, theSMC-M 20 F/3.5, again, if you can find any. I used to own the older version, when i was still shooting Pentax, a long time ago, and I can remember that it wasn't all that great in the corners, but the F/3.5 version was supposed to be a bit better.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Thanks everyone for the suggestions ...

... I'll certainly look forward to the Samyang review,

and I include the Pentaxs and Zuikos into my search.