Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7D low iso noise problem?
I'm mostly a jpeg shooter so my reply wont apply to RAW.

I just quickly looked through some old photos, and on one day I used a Sony A350 (14MP), Canon 50D (15MP) and 7D (18MP). I didn't use all of them for the same type of shooting so no direct scene comparison, but just looking at the sky noise in various low ISO shots (ISO200 or lower), I'd say the 50D is cleanest with some low frequency chroma noise being noticeable if you look for it. The A350 is a little worse with a bit of luminance noise creeping in, and the 7D has more of a mix of both chroma and luminance noise. So relatively, the 7D is the worse at low ISO of these cameras in jpeg output. Chroma noise is very easy to post process out, so that still leaves the 7D with the most luminance noise.

Having said all that, is it "bad"? To me I don't notice the noise. Put another way, it is only a problem if you decide it is a problem, not if someone else does. Actually I consider myself lucky if I use such a low ISO and I kept the 7D for its mid-high ISO performance (ISO800-3200) where it easily beats the other two.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
[quote name='popo' date='08 July 2010 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1278607898' post='913']

I'm mostly a jpeg shooter so my reply wont apply to RAW.

I just quickly looked through some old photos, and on one day I used a Sony A350 (14MP), Canon 50D (15MP) and 7D (18MP). I didn't use all of them for the same type of shooting so no direct scene comparison, but just looking at the sky noise in various low ISO shots (ISO200 or lower), I'd say the 50D is cleanest with some low frequency chroma noise being noticeable if you look for it. The A350 is a little worse with a bit of luminance noise creeping in, and the 7D has more of a mix of both chroma and luminance noise. So relatively, the 7D is the worse at low ISO of these cameras in jpeg output. Chroma noise is very easy to post process out, so that still leaves the 7D with the most luminance noise.

Having said all that, is it "bad"? To me I don't notice the noise. Put another way, it is only a problem if you decide it is a problem, not if someone else does. Actually I consider myself lucky if I use such a low ISO and I kept the 7D for its mid-high ISO performance (ISO800-3200) where it easily beats the other two.

[/quote]

This could be an issue, though I don't own a 7D so it's not possible for me to judge.

However, it'd be interesting to know what the in-camera settings are because some cameras need more tweaking to get optimal JPEG output. These settings could explain differences in noise levels in such a case.

That's why it's always good to see what the results are like in RAW before assessing sensor noise, IMO.

But I agree, in most cases the noise won't really show up in print unless you are going for the big stuff.