Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ Lens Test Report: Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS
I'm a Canon owner with a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD. I'm not ready to go full frame for a few years. So I was thinking of upgrading to the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. I have no problems with the Tamrom because I don't know any better. The reason for the possible upgrade would be for better sharper photos.

After re-reading both reviews the Sigma beats the Tamron with the MTF (resolution) from 17 to 50. I had a look at the sample images but I can't see full size images for the Tamron samples. I mostly shoot from 50 at 2.8 to f4.

Am I going to see a noticeable real-world difference with sharpness between these two lenses?

Thanks
[quote name='no1bossman' timestamp='1323995426' post='13825']

I'm a Canon owner with a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD. I'm not ready to go full frame for a few years. So I was thinking of upgrading to the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM. I have no problems with the Tamrom because I don't know any better. The reason for the possible upgrade would be for better sharper photos.

After re-reading both reviews the Sigma beats the Tamron with the MTF (resolution) from 17 to 50. I had a look at the sample images but I can't see full size images for the Tamron samples. I mostly shoot from 50 at 2.8 to f4.

Am I going to see a noticeable real-world difference with sharpness between these two lenses?

Thanks

[/quote]

The only issue of the Tamron is, as far as I remember, some field curvature at 17mm. However, the Sigma isn't corner sharp at large aperture settings in the lower range so there's nothing to gain here. The Sigma has a better build quality and OS but that's about it.

The "gold" standard is probably the Canon 17-55 but obviously this comes at a price.
Cheers. It's what I figured really - it's not worth the upgrade.