Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shutter life true expectations
I read shutter verified till 100.000 shots but it seems cameras do go by far beyond that, take my 30D for instance, it has been my camera from 2006 till 2014, it took so many pictures, with more than one terabyte of data without forgetting that a big part of it is not RAW and that 30D is only 8MP I expect it has taken by far much more than 100.000 shots promised by canon. It has outlived 5 original bp511 canon batteries

So what are the realistic expectations ??

BTW maybe I am lucky but 30D has had a legendary reliability after falling several times, being exposed to rain and snow as well used during hiking and on the beach and it's still going, I just replaced the shutter button

100.000 (or whatever) is the minimum specification. I suppose you can double that in real life.

Till now I consider I got nothing but excellent reliability camera bodies:

all of them still perfect despite heavy use, travel and exposure  to harsh conditions

300D from 2004, 30D from 2006, and still working like new !

I'm slightly wondering what you are doing with all these photos ;-)

Quote:I'm slightly wondering what you are doing with all these photos ;-)

Archiving!
Storing them on the digital attic in boxes.

I suppose most of us are in the same boat.

I still need to sort out the photos from my honeymoon trip from 2007!

Maybe one day...

That's the only "good" thing about winter in Europe: it forces me to sort out old photos instead of going out to shoot. Sunny/warm countries must "suck" in this respect ;-) ahah

And then, sorting is only the first step. Next is postprocessing.

At least, we will have enough photos to keep us busy by the time we reach retirement  Big Grin
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Quote: 

And then, sorting is only the first step. Next is postprocessing.

At least, we will have enough photos to keep us busy by the time we reach retirement  Big Grin

Don´t Think you get more time for post processing!

I started to take even more photos than before. ^_^ 
It's a God damned lottery: my 30D, bought brand new, lasted only three months before the shutter said "bye". Oh, how I hated that camera...

Re: the amount of photos that need to be culled and sorted, I feel for you. Smile I've spent most of the evenings and other free time over 2,5 years (ending last July) reviewing, thinning out, describing and archiving 14 years worth of images (before that, my treatment of the archive was shoddy at times, and a few months' worth of images from a bad year, 2012, were completely unsorted). Lately I've been wading through about 6000 photos from that darnable Figure Skating championship (luckily I've erased a lot of worst photos on the spot, as judging by the file numbers I've shot in excess of 9000 pictures in three days. Smile I still have probably 1200 more untouched pics from the last days of December and from yesterday's shoot. Smile))

I just hope my camera doesn't decide to kick the bucket any time soon. God only knows how many pictures I've made with it! Smile
Quote:I'm slightly wondering what you are doing with all these photos ;-)
of course you understand those are not all landscape photos, many are covered events and there are several weddings a full wedding is at least 2000-3000 shots.

also remember a typical Lebanese wedding that's  2 days at least 300 persons on several locations...