Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS M50 announced
Canon outdid themselves ... once again ...

4K video but it's cropped by a factor of 1.6x ( that is on top of the APSC format ).
If they outdid themselves, there would be USB-3, charging the tiny battery (235 shots? WTF?) via USB. Fiddling the battery out when the camera sits on a tripod is so a very common thing. And I wonder how much 4K video the camera records with one battery charge? And the eye-detection only works for AF-S? Gosh.
According to 4k video
1. Similar steps has been seen by 5d MK iV.  No idea how it works now with the latest firmware

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/29/canon-5d-mark-iv-firmware-update-reduce-4k-crop-1-74x-1-27x/

2. Crop  OK but what about dual pixel AF

PS I understand the technical issue to have 24MP 2x3 to be used in 16:9 mode at 4k == 8.3MPixels  - seems logical that you need crop sqrt(24/8.3) = 1.6. But this is quick and dirty solution

I have no idea how other manufacturer cope with the video crop issue. I know that it works fine with  modern 2..15MP smarphone sensors
(02-26-2018, 06:50 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: If they outdid themselves, there would be USB-3, charging the tiny battery (235 shots? WTF?) via USB. Fiddling the battery out when the camera sits on a tripod is so a very common thing. And I wonder how much 4K video the camera records with one battery charge? And the eye-detection only works for AF-S? Gosh.

My comment was meant in a sarcastic way ;-)
Re: the 4K Crop factor, there is a workaround for 5D Mark IV, and that is using dedicated APS-C ultrawides if you need to shoot wide (say, Dustin Abbott recommended the new Tamron 10-24 for this, in lieu of - say - the Canon 17-40). No such reprieve for the M50 it seems...
Tongue 
(02-26-2018, 09:38 AM)Rover Wrote: Re: the 4K Crop factor, there is a workaround for 5D Mark IV, and that is using dedicated APS-C ultrawides if you need to shoot wide (say, Dustin Abbott recommended the new Tamron 10-24 for this, in lieu of - say - the Canon 17-40). No such reprieve for the M50 it seems...

Oh, you could try C-mount lenses.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The crop factor issue is actually side effect created by MPixel race in still camera.
My list of good 4k cameras are
- sony 7s  is excellent 4k camera with 12,2 MP
- Backmagic
- GoProHero6 – also 12mp
- Smartphones cannot compare with above cameras but do great job compare to the shabby dSLR performance.

My question still reamins is there any decent 4k camera by Nikon, Canon or most logical Panasonic?
On paper mFT seems to be doing great job
(02-26-2018, 09:35 AM)Klaus Wrote: My comment was meant in a sarcastic way ;-)

I was almost suspecting so... but you never know, these Canon owners...
(02-26-2018, 04:56 AM)Klaus Wrote: Canon outdid themselves ... once again ...

4K video but it's cropped by a factor of 1.6x ( that is on top of the APSC format ).

Come on this Canon.

It will take them 10 years and 75 iterations of the M range camera to reach the features present in the first Olympus OMD EM 10.
;-)