Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling Canon Macro 100mm?
Time to expand my lens collection for my wedding photography business and add a macro prime. Any one selling a well kept used version Canon EF - 100mm - f2/8 ?
I have one but I am in Lebanon and it's extremely complicated selling/buying abroad from here, I am not telling you that as a seller, (won't be selling abroad ) but for the reason I don't want it for portraits anymore.
Optically it's one of the best lenses you can get, no real flaws in it, color rendering superb, razor sharp, good bokeh but it's 100mm for sharp photos you need rather high shutter speed and thus either you should invest in lighting (I suppose you already did) or use high ISO with all its drawbacks, as someone who did plenty of weddings I suggest you get the IS version, it's worth the price difference, and if you have a growing business you will sooner or later end up with 70-200f2.8 IS, the old one is exceptionally good and quite affordable on the used market. Anyway the 100mm macros both have excellent resale values so getting any as temporary lens won't be a big loss
(04-01-2018, 07:46 AM)toni-a Wrote: I have one but I am in Lebanon and it's extremely complicated selling/buying  abroad from here, I am not telling you that as a seller, (won't be selling abroad ) but for the reason I don't want it for portraits anymore.
Optically it's one of the best lenses you can get, no real flaws in it, color rendering superb, razor sharp, good bokeh but it's 100mm  for sharp photos you need rather high shutter speed and thus either you should invest in lighting (I suppose you already did) or use high ISO with all its drawbacks, as someone who did plenty of weddings I suggest you get the IS version, it's worth the price difference, and if you have a growing business you will sooner or later end up with 70-200f2.8 IS, the old one is exceptionally good and quite affordable on the used market. Anyway the 100mm macros both have excellent resale values so getting any as temporary lens won't be a big loss

thank you for the response, I already have 24-70 and 70-200 USM II F2.8 and it covers all the basis for my style of shooting but I need something to shoot wedding rings and smaller objects with. I would use it for the portraits too, with lighting set up, but mainly it will be for actual macro photography.
For macro of rings etc., maybe you want to consider also focus stacking.   
It can be done with little expense using an older body that supports Magic Lantern.
You surely won't go wrong with Canon  100mm macro, although with close focus abilities of 24-70 such shots are feasible although not real closeups of wedding rings I include in the frame the wedding invitation to make a good setup, just wedding rings shot in macro mode is a boring shot IMHO.

I use for those shots a flash pointed upwards plus a a flash diffuser like this one on the flash [Image: Products_flashdiffuser_white.jpg]

it works pretty well and of course using flash, shutter speed and stabilization aren't things to worry about, so yes 100mm macro would do the job pretty well, I actually use it extensively

If I want to suggest you one more lens it would be a fisheye, you will use it for three or four shots not more but they will love them, for the dance floor, the fisheye can give you amazing captures

my setups for weddings was Canon 7Dmkii, 8mm fisheye, 17-55f2.8, 100m macro, and as backup camera Canon 5D plus 24-105f4L IS, , plus flashes and reflectors of course 
I think if I would do wedding now it would be 7D plus 8mm fisheye, Canon 15-88, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 5D plus 100mm macro mounted on it , with 24-105 in the camera bag as a backup plan