Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny Tokina
Fun. Funny. The Tokina AF FE 20mm f2 Firin will finally ship in June. It will cost... $950. A Nikkor AF-S 20mm f1.8 G ED costs $799 (MSRP). The Sigma 20mm f1.4 DG HSM Art costs $899.
BC, I agree with you. I believe it will end up with street price of $699.
In the past, Tokina's MSRP had on occasion ended up being 50% higher than the actual retail cost at launch (case in point: $1400 MSRP for the 16-28, $950 actual price not long thereafter). This is probably going to be the case now, too (maybe not to that extreme degree, of course).

Besides, this is a size-optimized, adapter-free lens, and for many people the lack of hassle / bulk is going to be worth quite a bit of a premium. I know that I would've been interested if I had dabbled in the Sony FE mirrorless (though in the end I would've probably just snagged a Zeiss 16-35/4 and called it a day).
Does it matter how it performs ?
A 20/2 is not comparable with a 16-35/4  Sleepy

The Sigma 20/1.4 is also available in native Sony mount, but the Tokina comes with a  filter thread. And the Sigma falls short in astrophotography due to coma.
A 16-35 lens does cover 20mm so yes it is comparable in a sense. Regarding coma, well, do we know how this lens performs in this regard? I think not yet.
A couple of other lenses also cover 20 mm, mostly zooms - but none of them, except Sigma 18-35/1.8 for APS-C - also covers f/2.0

And f/2.0 is what Tokina offers, so I stick with "the 16-35/4 is not comparable to that Tokina" Smile
The Tokina is half the weight and length of the Sigma lens ...
As much as I like Sigma lenses these days - regarding its "extension tube" it's quite pathetic really.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(04-18-2018, 09:14 PM)Klaus Wrote: The Tokina is half the weight and length of the Sigma lens ...
As much as I like Sigma lenses these days - regarding its "extension tube" it's quite pathetic really.

My point was: an unjustified price for a 3rd party lens in today's pricing landscape.

And about the size and weight... Of course it is, that is the norm anyway with lenses that are a stop faster Wink

And on the tube... It is not an extension tube (lens does not focus closer), but rather a mirrorbox-replacement-sans-mirror, or integrated adapter.
Well, I don't think it's reasonable anymore to expect the "third party" products to dwell in the bargain bin. This might've been true 15 years ago when most of the Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses were clearly marketed as el cheapo alternatives (with the attendant quality compromises plain to see, like "trademark" color casts, low quality motors, awkward mechanicals and inferior build), but now when - say - the Sigma Arts match or exceed the "first parties" in IQ, we're lucky to get a 30% price discount. Smile