Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon full frame mirrorless UWA zoom patent
http://hi-lows-note.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2018-05-18
The short back focus should put an end to the nonsensical "Canon mirrorless will have the EF mount" stories.
Dat ass- I mean, front element. Smile Looks like the mini-Tokina 16-28 to me. Smile
back focus 10mm... while possible for a mirrorless mount (like EF-S on EF), it most likely would have to extend into the mount.
Hmmmm 16-28f2.8 with a protruding front element??? Why would they do that??
Even if they choose,a different mount I am sure they will keep electronics the same, this way adapters would just change the flange distance without having to do with electronics and they would be cheap and easy to make allowing easy use of existing EF lenses
It is just a patent; many patents do not become products.
I like the page 7 drawing of the patent... a very minimalistic point and shoot.... well, these drawings probably are meaningless and generic. Still, a lens for fixed-lens camera?
I have one question.
Does the Mirrorless camera benefits from low flange distances in practice ? I want to stress the word in PRACTICE.
I knew from the past that Laica made great wide angle lenses.
I also know that in theory smal flange distannce give advantage in UWA lenses and almost no effect in tele range.
I also remembered how sony strugled to integrate UWA in NEX models.
What is the situation now?

thanks in advance
IMHO short flange is always an advantage unless having a compact lens is priority, worst case scenario you can use design of a lens with long flange and put the elements within the lens far from its mount.
(05-20-2018, 08:25 PM)miro Wrote: I have one question.
Does the Mirrorless camera benefits from low flange distances in practice ? I want to stress the word in PRACTICE.
I knew from the past that Laica made great wide angle lenses.
I also know that in theory smal flange distannce give advantage in UWA lenses and almost no effect in tele range.
I also remembered how sony strugled to integrate UWA in NEX models.
What is the situation now?
thanks in advance
One word (alright, one word and two numbers): Sony 12-24.
Alright, the 16-35/4 they have is not too shabby as well, although probably not as good as the corresponding Canon - but it's noticeably smaller than that one too (-5mm filter size, -100 grams of weight).
Hello Toni-a and Rover
Thanks for the feedback.
@toni - I agree that it does not hurt to have cmera with short flange distance.
@rover - yes S12-24 is something special that no-one have.
over 16-35 - fast google search told me that Cnon 16-35 iii is 120g heavier and both share 82mm filter
I found also this one
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeiss-co...lr-lenses/

Ufortunately most of the photographers are using FL > 35mm.
End theory - my practice
II have in my camera bag
1. Canon 400d + Tamron 17-50/2.8
2. Canon 50d + either Tokina 100 macro or Sigma non OS 150 macro
3. Speedlight 580 Flash
77mm CPL filters x2pcs
67->77mm converter
====================
last year I was looking for upgrade but no-one impress me. I end up with huawei p20 pro.
I'm still open for big camera upgrade but still no-one offer something that worth it

PS. Sigma 8-16 and 10-20 Tamron 70-300 VC and Canon 50/1.8MK1 are mostly at home. The same for alll light equipment.
Most of the time I use smarthpone and action cam.