Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back from JP
It was awesome but 2 weeks are enough. I think I will avoid having any more rice for at least half a year. 
Following the pilgrim trail, my knees will probably need a couple of weeks to recover again - the mountains on the Kii peninsula are very steep and most of the ups and downs were via rock steps. That was quite painful at times.

Will try to finalize one review next week.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Did you find the asian culture (mostly food) very different from what you are used to ? I guess kii peninsula is a lot steeper than kyoto. There was one temple in kyoto that was up a bit of a hill but even that was not very steep (at least compare to longs peak key-eye). Did the 12-100 meet you expectation or post trip do you wish you had gone with a few light weight primes or something else ?
I really like Japanese/Asian food but it's different having it 3 times a day rather than twice a week. It was hardest on the trails when we had xxx with rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One the last day, most westerners that we met were in crisis mode. ;-) However, overall it was certainly more healthy than my usual diet.

On the Kii peninsular we had two days with more than 1000m of altitude gain/loss. That's no issue on normal trails but if you do it via sequences of staircases at least my knees don't like it.

I think the 12-100 PRO did a great job. Yes, I missed something faster for shallow DoF at times but then having just one lens was sort of liberating and certainly relaxing as well. As pointed out by some fellow, the differences in scene contrast were the biggest photographic problem.

Not sure what you mean by contrast - do you mean contrast of perspective or the lens itself has a different level of contrast at different points in the zoom.
Scene contrast usually means the relation for darkest to lightest part in a single picture. But I thought, Olympus has also some kind of HDR to handle these kind of pictures?
(05-27-2018, 07:34 AM)Klaus Wrote: It was awesome but 2 weeks are enough. I think I will avoid having any more rice for at least half a year. 
Following the pilgrim trail, my knees will probably need a couple of weeks to recover again - the mountains on the Kii peninsula are very steep and most of the ups and downs were via rock steps. That was quite painful at times.

Oh, I hear you. While in Nepal, we had a drop of 1700 metres (!) in one day, and it was mostly steps and slopes again. I've been suffering from intermittent osteoarthritis for years, and this exercise sure did the knees no good. Well... at least the experience was worth it. Was yours for you? Smile
(05-28-2018, 06:59 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Scene contrast usually means the relation for darkest to lightest part in a single picture. But I thought, Olympus has also some kind of HDR to handle these kind of pictures?

True. However, I think this is for JPEGs.

Right. But if the JPG shows more than the RAW... or make two RAWs with 4-5 stops difference and combine them in post. I never got the idea behind 7 slightly different pictures.
(05-28-2018, 10:15 AM)Rover Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 07:34 AM)Klaus Wrote: It was awesome but 2 weeks are enough. I think I will avoid having any more rice for at least half a year. 

Oh, I hear you. While in Nepal, we had a drop of 1700 metres (!) in one day, and it was mostly steps and slopes again. I've been suffering from intermittent osteoarthritis for years, and this exercise sure did the knees no good. Well... at least the experience was worth it. Was yours for you? Smile

Well, JP isn't Nepal in terms of mountain beauty. On Kii you got insanely steep, green mountains, temples, onsens (spas), great food and the occasional gang of monkeys. Whether ruining your knees was worth it ... ask me again in a couple of weeks. ;-)

I don’t hear anything from opposite side. Their statement was that 6-stops is enough.
Personally I shoot with old equipment and I bring at least one polarization and ND grad filter with me. Both are enought to hadle most situations with my canon 400d