Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yongnuo 50mm f/1.4 announced
http://en.yongnuo.com.cn/goods-293-Creat...m+F14.html

A AF lens apparently
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Maybe finally someone will convince Canon to update their ageing Canon 50mmf1.4, in the past they managed to convince Canon to update the 50f1.8 Smile
Rewriting history, Tony? Yongnuo came with the EF 50mm f1.8 II rip-off after Canon replaced it with the EF 50mm f1.8 STM (which uses the same optic formula as the EF 50mm f1.8 I/II anyway).
Makes me wonder who is going to buy this - yes, 220USD is cheap but the Canon goes for 330USD. You may argue that this is 50% more expensive but it's just 110USD more after all.

(06-03-2018, 02:22 AM)Klaus Wrote: Makes me wonder who is going to buy this - yes, 220USD is cheap but the Canon goes for 330USD. You may argue that this is 50% more expensive but it's just 110USD more after all.

Canon 50mm f1.4 isn't a good performer, it is already cheaper than Sigmas who outperform it, it's practically of little use at f1.4, So the Yongnuo has all the chances of being alternative if it is well designed and manufactured
Glad to see you stopped singing its praises to the max...
The one spec that I went to look out for was, what type of focus motor does it have?

Needless to say it was the one thing missing from the spec list.

Is it one of their "Wurlitzer" varieties or maybe something half decent?
(06-03-2018, 08:04 AM)davidmanze Wrote: The one spec that I went to look out for was, what type of focus motor does it have?  

Needless to say it was the one thing missing from the spec list.

Is it one of their "Wurlitzer" varieties or maybe something half decent?

The specs mention a "DC motor" or in other words - ancient tech.

Klaus, you misspelled "Yongnuo" in the "industry news" column. Smile
[/evil proofreader mode]
Anyway, this lens looks a new and unique design (optically), wonder how well is it going to perform? The old Canon was nothing to write home about until about f/2.5 or 2.8, much like its sibling the 28/1.8. I tried both for awhile but chose to stay away from either, even though the 28/1.8 looks pretty sexy.
(06-03-2018, 11:01 AM)Rover Wrote: Klaus, you misspelled "Yongnuo" in the "industry news" column. Smile
[/evil proofreader mode]
Anyway, this lens looks a new and unique design (optically), wonder how well is it going to perform? The old Canon was nothing to write home about until about f/2.5 or 2.8, much like its sibling the 28/1.8. I tried both for awhile but chose to stay away from either, even though the 28/1.8 looks pretty sexy.
That's pretty normal. Even a lens like the Zeiss 50 F/1.4 is only getting good at around F/4 - F/5.6. Considering its price I was rather disappointed with it; the 50L was better, although they were more or less the same from about F/4 onwards. There generally are only few fast lenses which are very good wide open, and even then they tend show some fall-off towards the corners.

Relatively cheap lenses like will perform well for their money, but again, you;d have toi stop them down to F/4, F/5.6 for optimal results.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....