Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tamrons Coming
Usually we have a quite a discussion after each lens announcement (or update) here at PZ.

It looks like Tamron is on mission to update each one of their existing products. And have to say that the sample images look very good especially 70-200 lens.

http://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a025.html

http://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/b023.html

Should I understand that everyone here is bored by lens announcements?

It was mentioned in a different thread. ;-)

But yes, it was a good idea to lift this.

No boredom by Tamron's lens announcements here...

..too busy enjoying the the G2 Tamron 150-600mm........Tamron have done a great job upgrading it, I officially vote it the best of that series of sports/nature zooms!

then they announce two new G2 versions of the 70-200mm and the 10-24mm the latter was not a great lens in it's original form being very soft in the corners at 10mm leaving Sigma to clean up with their 10-20mm F4/5.6 version.  

Both Tamron and Sigma have some elderly zooms that need refreshing, I'm still wondering who be fastest on the draw for a standard 16-50mm F2.8 zoom, there still isn't a full feature manual focus override version in the third party manufacturer world.

Tamron's approach to bring out tripod collars with Arca swallow-tail: finally one lens manufacturer getting it right Smile
Quote:Tamron's approach to bring out tripod collars with Arca swallow-tail: finally one lens manufacturer getting it right Smile
 Absolutely, Tamron realized that this updated tripod foot "costs no more" to manufacture with the Arca Swiss V groove as standard, everyone else wants ludicrous sums for it as an accessory.

However Tamron does charge an arm and a leg for their "Tapin" console (USB Dock) and their tele-converters!

It's also nice to see some metal in their construction at a time when super expensive Nikon's hide their metal interiors behind not so impressive polycarbonate outer casings.

Very nice that Tamron made that simple design decision, and see that they are picking themselves up too. Is the foot lens wobble free too?

At least the 1.4 TC appears to be very good. And the console is 1/3 more than Sigma's, but when I got mine some years ago, it was about the same.

Somehow I can't see a reaon why a TC should be cheap, if it's really worth to use. Maybe you need to wait a bit until the first 2nd hand TCs hit the market?
Wonder what would be Tokina's response. Till now they have no stabilized lenses, besides they seem only interested in wide angle lenses. Do you think they are out of the race ?

Too bad their lenses are built like tanks.
Quote:It's also nice to see some metal in their construction at a time when super expensive Nikon's hide their metal interiors behind not so impressive polycarbonate outer casings.

here I don't agree in general. There are lenses, like most Fujinons, coming in a solid metal look and containing a massive amount of plastic parts. And there are plastics and plastics. I don't know exactly the plastic type of Nikon, but the recycling symbol should give an "8" inside the symbol ♺ Actually, they are all marked a 10. I guess, but am not sure, it's a plastic called PEEK (in Switzerland). Polyethereteketone. Something used for valves, insulation-parts and other high-tech shit.

But then, as most of Nikon's lenses are built in China, we might look to the Chinese plastic code table. Here PEEK is No. 68 and No. 10 is ACS - wich I never heard of before, but there are literally 100s of this codes. And as it's a modified ABS, I'd be fine with using it for an outer lens shell. It's more pleasing to touch in cold temperatures than metal.

It's only stupid - and Nikon goes the full length of stupidity here - to design a shell with thin walls and try to attach a tripod collar. And the tripod collar has a layer of velvet inside so you can sell the lens without a scratch after you wondered enough why the tripod based pictures always get blurred... This tripod collar, the lousy microphone, the poorly designed and steeply priced battery-grips are my favourite reasons to rant about greedy Nikon...

Also, the shell isn't that important. Often it's the mount. After reading Roger's blogpost about plastic mounts (the hidden ones) you probably recognize: Metal is not the cure against everything  Wink
Quote:No boredom by Tamron's lens announcements here...

..too busy enjoying the the G2 Tamron 150-600mm........Tamron have done a great job upgrading it, I officially vote it the best of that series of sports/nature zooms!

then they announce two new G2 versions of the 70-200mm and the 10-24mm the latter was not a great lens in it's original form being very soft in the corners at 10mm leaving Sigma to clean up with their 10-20mm F4/5.6 version.  

Both Tamron and Sigma have some elderly zooms that need refreshing, I'm still wondering who be fastest on the draw for a standard 16-50mm F2.8 zoom, there still isn't a full feature manual focus override version in the third party manufacturer world.
Dave, if the AF is as good as on your 150-600 the new version of 70-200 looks very promising. It costs almost half of what Nikon wants for theirs.

I am not sure what exactly affected the optical industry, but I don't understand the price increments with each iteration of Nikon  products:

70-200 version 1 - $1,600

70-200 version 2 - $2,300

70-300 version 3 - $2.800