• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenstip review of the Sigma A 105mm F1.4 HSM.
Hi guys,
            A review is out of the new Sigma A 105mm F1.4 HSM on Lenstip's reveiw site.

If you thought the Nikon 105mm F1.4 is a monster with it's 82m filter, it is now dwarfed by the new Sigma's 105mm with a 105mm front element which weighs in at 1.645 Kgs/ 3.62 lbs!!!  

Needless to say everything is record-breaking, with unbelievable sharpness and coma correction wide open..........tested on the Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
(although this is a lens that deserved to be tested on Canon's no excuses 50 Mps sensor!)

........but how big will Sigma lenses become when we get to 100 Mps? 

This could be Tamron's opener for something more compact with VC into the bargain!

https://www.lenstip.com/535.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_105_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM.html
Dave's clichés
It not only sounds heavy, but is, yes. Matt Granger's comparison on YouTube is also interesting (not for Canon users though, they have not much of alternatives) and he prefers his Nikkor. While admitting to be biased because he already owns it, his biggest issue wasn't the performance as he saw of both nearly the same IQ. He had troubles with handholding it for an hour or so.

I don't recall to ever have used one lens for a full hour, but the weight can be a deal breaker. But then, the 85/1.4 Art is only 400 grams less and longer. Funnily, the Otus 85/1.4 has the same weight.

At the moment I'm figuring out how to rent both lenses at the same time to compare them for myself. And to find out if for me, who shot most portraits with an 85, the 105 is an option - or even a better option.

Tamron? Well, I tried their 85/1.8. At f/2 it doesn't come close to the Sigma wide open, was my impression. Take it with a grain of salt: I had no chance to focus adjust it, but in a face and at 1/4000 should some parts be in focus...

I think Sigma lenses - at least the Art types - are already capable of 100 MP, but who wants 100 MP in a FF sensor? Even if it's doable - I have doubts it would be practical, as long as ISO and noise performance will not be significantly improved.
Yeah, I saw Matts review first........now with Lenstip's technical version we see that maybe Matt had got things wrong when he stated he'd better check which was which and chose the Nikkor as the sharper......

Needless to say I would choose the Nikkor.........

.......the AF 105mm F2.8D micro!......LOL!

Hey, I just saved $2,000 .............Yay!
Dave's clichés
Every time resolution went up, noise always was ok (except to some extent with the 5DS which was too early for the improved tech). 100mp is not such a big hike over 50mp anyway... Not like the D850 has a noise issue at ISO 400 (or ISO 256)? So even 200mp should be quite ok.
The question is who need something more than 10..20mp.
At the end of the day we all have human vision.
https://youtu.be/4I5Q3UXkGd0
Yes for industrial or scientific purpose we need even higher resolution, higher sensitivity and speed/frame rate.
Can you show an example where consumer needs more than 10mp
PS: I've just looked at one new wedding album
Great that you looked at one new wedding album.
Wink 
(07-14-2018, 12:04 PM)miro Wrote: The question is who need something more than 10..20mp.
At the end of the day we all have human vision.
Yes for industrial or scientific purpose we need even higher resolution, higher sensitivity and speed/frame rate.
Can you show an example where consumer needs more than 10mp
You're very mislead by drawing the limit at human eyesight. If you do so, you are not allowed to use any other lens - especially no long teles - else than 40 mm ± 10 mm. The same for flash, as no human eyesight can see and fully recognize things happening at 1/20000 sec. I'm sorry, this question you have to answer for yourself - I could do so, but for that kind of work I want to get paid.

I don't use my cameras to document what my eyes saw, as close as possible to "reality" - I use them to see more. It's like saying any car going faster than 6-10 km/h is not needed as human walking speed on average is just around that speed.

If you're happy with 10-20 MP, stay this way, just don't ask this kind of questions. People who buy more MP sometimes do know what they want, imagine that... Wink and only few of us do technical or scientific work with them. But it's interesting you chose these fields - why did you do so?
Besides that, nonsensical to claim that 10.2mp somehow equals human vision in any sense. That crappy old Canon even predated my old EOS 450D, and I surely hit the limits of it (12mp 450D) for big-ish prints. And its noise.

About that Sigma: it does render very nicely, and I have not yet seen any evidence of it having similar swirly bokeh tendency as the Nikkor. I probably would like that Sigma a lot, except its bulk of course.
Simple question
Show me an example where you have taken advantage of more mp.
The answer must be a picture - no endless forum debate
(07-14-2018, 11:36 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Every time resolution went up, noise always was ok (except to some extent with the 5DS which was too early for the improved tech). 100mp is not such a big hike over 50mp anyway... Not like the D850 has a noise issue at ISO 400 (or ISO 256)? So even 200mp should be quite ok.

The D850 has two ISO ranges and the lower one is amplified less than the higher one (I'm in doubt if that description holds, but I don't know all specific expressions in English). Anyway, last week I was sorting the pics I brought back home from a dark place in Holland. More than once I thought "looks a bit grainy", only to discover in EXIF, that might be because of ISO 51200 Big Grin It's the best Nikon I owned.

• 1(current)
  • Next