•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenstip review of the Sigma A 105mm F1.4 HSM.
At the moment, I'm in the process of finding out if I like the 105 FL better than the 85. If yes, I proceed to the next step.

There are - if at all - only tiny "advantages" and I'm far form being sure which one I'd prefer at the end. You're right, the mount changing service will make the Sigma as pricey as the Nikon already is. And 600 grams more or less is one good reason to go Nikon.

So, what I need to find out: Is the Nikkor accurate AFing at all distances? If not - there's no Nikon dock to correct that.
How about the coma of both lenses? Lenstip found the Sigma pretty good in that aspect.
Flare and CA? The Nikkor is a new design and my experiences with the 85/1.4 G at least wide open were, to put it mildly, disappointing at this price point. The HSM needed a replacement not long ago, and the lens was not even 3 years old.
Service for Sigma is ½ hour away, Nikon 1 ½ hours...

Of course I could sell the Nikon - but that will easily cost me around 600-700 francs. Today I read that Nikon is supposed to offer a "Very sophisticated new F-mount adapter - also confirmed by multiple sources." Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/one-w...z5LSQU1kTE
(07-16-2018, 10:01 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: At the moment, I'm in the process of finding out if I like the 105 FL better than the 85. If yes, I proceed to the next step.
If FL is your concern,
Do you already have the king of "most fun for the bucks" Nik 105VR Macro?
(07-16-2018, 10:01 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Of course I could sell the Nikon - but that will easily cost me around 600-700 francs. Today I read that Nikon is supposed to offer a "Very sophisticated new F-mount adapter - also confirmed by multiple sources." Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/one-w...z5LSQU1kTE

According to the angry photographer (utube's Ken Wheeler) this new adapter will have a SLT style mirror incorporated into it.......... à là Sony......he claims the PDAF sensor is in the roof of the body............also, it would take G series lenses and he makes no mentions of aperture levers, this could point towards electronic diaphragms only.
.......SLT mirrors....adapters with electro-mechanical aperture levers.....AF sensors in the body.......anyway, all that would go to make a the most complicated accessory ever, which no doubt will be appropriately expensive!  

.......He also claims the top model will have the D850 sensor......which I find difficult to believe as it has no phase detect facility.

.......best to take most he says as balderdash!..... (rubbish).

I won't post the link as I wouldn't like to subject you all to watching it!
Dave's clichés
(07-18-2018, 09:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 10:01 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Of course I could sell the Nikon - but that will easily cost me around 600-700 francs. Today I read that Nikon is supposed to offer a "Very sophisticated new F-mount adapter - also confirmed by multiple sources." Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/one-w...z5LSQU1kTE

According to the angry photographer (utube's Ken Wheeler) this new adapter will have a SLT style mirror incorporated into it.......... à là Sony......he claims the PDAF sensor is in the roof of the body............also, it would take G series lenses and he makes no mentions of aperture levers, this could point towards electronic diaphragms only.
.......SLT mirrors....adapters with electro-mechanical aperture levers.....AF sensors in the body.......anyway, all that would go to make a the most complicated accessory ever, which no doubt will be appropriately expensive!  

.......He also claims the top model will have the D850 sensor......which I find difficult to believe as it has no phase detect facility.

.......best to take most he says as balderdash!..... (rubbish).

Hmmm... G lenses have the mechanical aperture operation. E lenses have Canon EOS style electronic aperture mechanisms.

The top model is supposed to have a 45mp sensor, so it is clear why he would make the D850 connection, even if it is a different sensor.

And SLT was pellicle mirror style à là Canon  Big Grin
(07-18-2018, 09:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote: .......SLT mirrors....adapters with electro-mechanical aperture levers.....AF sensors in the body.......anyway, all that would go to make a the most complicated accessory ever, which no doubt will be appropriately expensive!  

Actually, Sony's LA-EA2 and LA-EA4 adapters have all that features AND an AF screw drive motor for the old, non-motorized AF lenses.
I remember reading that the focal length of the Nikon "105mm f/1.4" lens is actually about 94 or 95mm. Just sayin' (and hopin' that the Sigma is more honest if that's really the case). Smile
(07-18-2018, 12:04 PM)Rover Wrote: I remember reading that the focal length of the Nikon "105mm f/1.4" lens is actually about 94 or 95mm. Just sayin' (and hopin' that the Sigma is more honest if that's really the case). Smile

I'll have a look into it... Smile But strange, with all this computers ending up with shorter FL? Was it tested at close range? Because inner focus lenses are supposed to shorter FL at closer distances.

Actually, good impulse to compare the 85 Art and Nikkor in this aspect.

(07-18-2018, 09:55 AM)davidmanze Wrote:      .......best to take most he says as balderdash!..... (rubbish).

That's an insult. To the word balderdash.

But thanks for NOT sharing, I highly appreciate it, he could call himself also "Angrying photographers"
Am I right in thinking that Nikon's D850 sensor has no on board PDAF system........

....if so where's the AF going to come from?
Dave's clichés
(07-19-2018, 04:34 AM)davidmanze Wrote: Am I right in thinking that Nikon's D850 sensor has no on board PDAF system........

....if so where's the AF going to come from?

The D850 has no PD AF in LiveView AFAIK. The sensor doesn't have a pattern like the X-T2.

Looking at the sensor of an α7R III, I also cannot see a pattern, but it has PDAF. So the pattern appears not to be a reliable sign for PDAF.

See also https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7...i-review/6

First, I would not rely on anything the "angry photographer" states, he loves to talk bad and does repetitively. Not only does he live of spreading bad vibrations, he also wastes other people's time by repeating over and over.
Second, we're a week away of the announcement. Why not leaning back and wait? After waiting 3 years for this move, I'm in no hurry today.
Third, it's a first attempt. What I read sounds good so far, but I miss reading about things which are of greater interest to me than the rumors - like some of the little things which bother me on Fuji, made me hesitate to move to Sony, did hold me back to experiment with Nikon 1.
I just wanted to throw out that question......as I have heard nothing about the D850's on sensor PDAF.

As for TAP.......believe me I know all about his "antics" and his views............Otus lenses suck!....Sigma lenses have no micro contrast.......modern lenses have too much glass........painful nonsense frankly!

Ok, now I know that there's no on sensor PDAF on the D850.......to me it means Nikon will be using another sensor........which means no need for a pellicle mirror in the adapter........

OK Joju I will just state that I was leaning back while I wrote this!
Dave's clichés

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next