Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No rest for the wicked... new Tamron 17-35/2.8-4.0
Looks like the new products just keep coming, innit?
https://photorumors.com/2018/08/01/new-t...nced-soon/
The lens looks damn sexy. Not sure why they're so bent on reproducing the stats of their older (if very popular lenses) - they created the 28-75/2.8 and now this thing.

I'm sure I'm not going to give up my Canon 16-35/4.0 IS for this but I'm ready to recommend it to anyone, especially the owners of the Canon 17-40. Smile
Low(ish) weight makes it interesting. No IS, but that is not that important at these focal lengths anyway, if the price is right.
(08-02-2018, 02:39 PM)Rover Wrote: Looks like the new products just keep coming, innit?
The lens looks damn sexy. Not sure why they're so bent on reproducing the stats of their older (if very popular lenses) - they created the 28-75/2.8 and now this thing.

I'm sure I'm not going to give up my Canon 16-35/4.0 IS for this but I'm ready to recommend it to anyone, especially the owners of the Canon 17-40. Smile

So is that any different from the old T17-35?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(08-02-2018, 05:19 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Low(ish) weight makes it interesting. No IS, but that is not that important at these focal lengths anyway, if the price is right.
I beg to differ - I think the IS is great to have on my Canon 16-35/4 L lens. It has certainly broadened the scopes. I missed it when I had to switch to the 17-40/4 L for a few days - just as the Murphy's law would have it I had to go on another night creepin' job where the 17-40 showed itself... not good, to put it mildly. Through "sprayin' and prayin'" I was able to scrounge a few usable shots (erasing more than 150 along the way) whereas the 16-35 would get me through this without too much effort. I'm glad to have it back. Smile
(08-03-2018, 09:52 AM)Klaus Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 02:39 PM)Rover Wrote: Looks like the new products just keep coming, innit?

The motor, the weather sealing, the design - especially the design, all the new Tamrons look damn sexy to me. Smile
The block diagram is also different so the performance should not be the same - with a little hope one can say that it's going to be better. Logically, it should. Smile Looks like this lens is going to slot beneath the 15-30 in the lineup, offering compact size, the usage of filters and, most importantly, lower price.
(08-03-2018, 03:36 PM)Rover Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 05:19 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Low(ish) weight makes it interesting. No IS, but that is not that important at these focal lengths anyway, if the price is right.
I beg to differ - I think the IS is great to have on my Canon 16-35/4 L lens. It has certainly broadened the scopes. I missed it when I had to switch to the 17-40/4 L for a few days - just as the Murphy's law would have it I had to go on another night creepin' job where the 17-40 showed itself... not good, to put it mildly. Through "sprayin' and prayin'" I was able to scrounge a few usable shots (erasing more than 150 along the way) whereas the 16-35 would get me through this without too much effort. I'm glad to have it back. Smile

The motor, the weather sealing, the design - especially the design, all the new Tamrons look damn sexy to me. Smile
The block diagram is also different so the performance should not be the same - with a little hope one can say that it's going to be better. Logically, it should. Smile Looks like this lens is going to slot beneath the 15-30 in the lineup, offering compact size, the usage of filters and, most importantly, lower price.

For you the usage is different, of course. 22-46mm f3.6-5.2 FF equivalent because of your 1.3x crop body, and a workhorse lens. That is a tad different than a real UWA zoom for FF format.
(08-03-2018, 08:10 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(08-03-2018, 03:36 PM)Rover Wrote:

For you the usage is different, of course. 22-46mm f3.6-5.2 FF equivalent because of your 1.3x crop body, and a workhorse lens. That is a tad different than a real UWA zoom for FF format.

Sorry, I don't understand your point (and no, I don't really care much what this lens, or any lens, is "equivalent" to in FF, miniMF, Four Thirds or any other format I'm not using Smile). I don't plan to get this Tamron anyway because I have the Canon 16-35/4 and do not intend to swap it out for anything else - it works very well on both formats I'm using (though the APS-C camera comes and goes).