•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nikon Z launched
Even worse is that the box will be useless for tripod mounting if you have a semi-heavy lens (without a tripod ring of its own) and a battery grip at the same time.
(08-23-2018, 03:29 PM)you2 Wrote: Gee those lenses (on the camera) look huge. Even the camera looks to be a monster compared to something like the a7

I just looked at video at dpreview where someone is handling one of 1,8 primes. Holy cow, that thing is huge for such a lens.

Camera seems to be of reasonable size though. For sure the best looking Nikon in long time. ?
(08-23-2018, 03:29 PM)you2 Wrote: Gee those lenses (on the camera) look huge. Even the camera looks to be a monster compared to something like the a7

The Nikon Z series has a sensibly sized FF mount, where the A7/9 series uses a hampered APS-C size mount. Of course the Nikon Z series will be a bit bigger by necessity.
On the lenses... Lets look at the 50mm f1.8. Contrary to the Sony FE 50mm f1.8, which is an oldfashioned run of the mill cheap and simple 50mm f1.8 like the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 and EF 50mm f1.8 STM, this new Nikkor is a modern design with 12 elements. Of course it will be larger. The only dimension that does not make too much sense is the barrel width. Is it the best choice to go for a 12 element design? Not sure.

Especially the 35mm should be smaller, as it is a typical street photography lens. But it does have 11 elements, but someone else could probably come up with a much more compact design with equal results.

The 24-70mm f4... The Sony Zeiss is bigger!
http://j.mp/2Nddmq4
(08-23-2018, 07:28 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: This is one of the posts, dave, where you spread an amount of misinformation equal to the amount of dots you use. Big Grin  get yourself informed. Didn't you watch the launch event at 4 a.m? Smile How could you...

If that dots symbolize a thoughtful dave, you just need to press the . key longer...

Eyedetection is on board. Edit: No, it's face detection - sorry, dave, that one's on me.

3 genuine + 360 legacy F-lenses are enough for a start.

The road map shows about 8 genuinely new lenses during the next two years.

A vertical grip will also come and the XQD slot is rumored to be exchangeable to XQD, CF or 2× SD.

Next to it: When did YOU ever needed two cards? I know the reasons for double slots, but honestly, I used them only during the time no decent RAW conevrter supported Fuji compressed RAW. And I don't think, the decent RAW converters will need that much time to catch up with the Nikon Z file formats

Let's see if the rumours are true!..........I would rather pay the whatever to have an extra SD card slot................(more dots)......after all I have a bunch of SD cards....... ......then there's reliability.....not just the cards but the card slot itself......my K20's card slot broke so I was dead for a fortnight........as did the K3.......so it's happened twice to me!
     Funnily enough I find their best use is when I go to shoot and find the no.1 slot is empty.....still in the computer.....

....no eye detect........this is the biggest feature out there at the moment and it works, I would certainly use it if it was there................a missed opportunity in my book!

I also hear that the battery is only good for 330-350 shots............that's early Sony 7 series level which drove everybody mad.   Nikon should have followed Sony and put in a high capacity one.

However, overall it comes with a whole bunch of good stuff  and.... "phew" people can use their AF-S lenses with the adapter until all the range turns up.

It's very good, it's just not for me!
(08-23-2018, 04:57 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 07:28 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: This is one of the posts, dave, where you spread an amount of misinformation equal to the amount of dots you use. Big Grin  get yourself informed. Didn't you watch the launch event at 4 a.m? Smile How could you...

If that dots symbolize a thoughtful dave, you just need to press the . key longer...

Eyedetection is on board. Edit: No, it's face detection - sorry, dave, that one's on me.

3 genuine + 360 legacy F-lenses are enough for a start.

The road map shows about 8 genuinely new lenses during the next two years.

A vertical grip will also come and the XQD slot is rumored to be exchangeable to XQD, CF or 2× SD.

Next to it: When did YOU ever needed two cards? I know the reasons for double slots, but honestly, I used them only during the time no decent RAW conevrter supported Fuji compressed RAW. And I don't think, the decent RAW converters will need that much time to catch up with the Nikon Z file formats

Let's see if the rumours are true!..........I would rather pay the whatever to have an extra SD card slot................(more dots)......after all I have a bunch of SD cards....... ......then there's reliability.....not just the cards but the card slot itself......my K20's card slot broke so I was dead for a fortnight........as did the K3.......so it's happened twice to me!
     Funnily enough I find their best use is when I go to shoot and find the no.1 slot is empty.....still in the computer.....

....no eye detect........this is the biggest feature out there at the moment and it works, I would certainly use it if it was there................a missed opportunity in my book!

I also hear that the battery is only good for 330-350 shots............that's early Sony 7 series level which drove everybody mad.   Nikon should have followed Sony and put in a high capacity one.

However, overall it comes with a whole bunch of good stuff  and.... "phew" people can use their AF-S lenses with the adapter until all the range turns up.

It's very good, it's just not for me!

Let me say this... CIPA battery life ratings are WORTHLESS - except for one thing: comparing different cameras with each other! So the "330" rating is good for one thing: it implies that the camera with such rating lasts about half what the "660" rated camera does. Nothing more. The DPReview.com staffers said that they're only providing this rating for comparison purposes when I pointed out that it was being used for disparaging certain Sony cameras.

Once I've gotten 3423 shots on a single charge of a battery rated for 1500 shots, with 24% of charge left to spare (don't remember what happened then - I probably kept shooting until the battery eventually kicked the bucket). Was that indicative of the day-to-day performance? Probably not because it depends on a thousand factors (that day I was mostly shooting long bursts and doing comparatively less on the spot reviewing). So don't fret over these ratings too much...
From engadget:
https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/23/niko...-hands-on/
--
So pricey and non-standard memory card (well non-standard for most folks):
-
Curiously, both the Z6 and the Z7 use XQD memory cards instead of more common SD cards. This is great for pros and studios that already have XQD cards, but prosumers will find these to be surprisingly expensive--a 32GB XQD from Sony is $89.99. On the other hand, the Z7 uses Nikon's standard EL15 battery, making them interchangeable with other Nikon bodies.

As far as availability is concerned, the Z7 will be available at the end of September at $3,400 for the body-only configuration (£3,399), or $4,000 (£3,999) as a kit with the new Nikkor Z 24-70 f/4 S lens.
A new standard of faster CF cards does also fit into the slot, I read. You're right, XQDs are expensive (from Sony, the Lexar 128 GB was much more affordable than the Sony 64 GB) and Lexar is not fully back in the business. Readers aren't cheap either, but worse, they are not onboard of standard PCs/laptops. But then... how much USB C cables are in your household? I haven't seen much of them on cameras, the Zs have them and the camera (finally!) can be charged on USB-C (or USB-Zeeeeeee?). At least, the XQD card feels mechanically much more robust, you cannot touch the contacts and it's nearly impossible to bend them by accident. And with 440/400 MB/s (R/W) they are faster than any SD card AFAIK. Maybe there are some adapters form XQD to SD around? I dunno.
Battery capacity of Nikon's EL15 is 14 watthours..................old Sony 7.5 watthours........new Sony 16.4 watthours......17.2% more.

XQD cards are expensive but are very fast.......we are talking here about $5-6,000 for camera and a range of new glass, $150 for a card and reader doesn't really change the game.

All in all Nikon have produced a very good prosumer mirror-less camera...............I can't wait till they bring out the pro version!
(08-23-2018, 03:42 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Sony is not producing smaller mirrorless FF bodies than the A7 line.
The A6000 series is consumer range, the prosumer range is the A7 series. That you as prosumer use the consumer range does not change things (nor does it matter much).
There are also real pros within their segment who use consumer range cameras.

I don’t get this one.
Even if I hear it many times from Mediamarkt/ Coolblue shop advisers.
Photography is an art. It uses media/paper,magzines,screen,video etc./ to show something to audience.
I will rephrase you thoughts in another point of view.
Shakespeare is using pen. My father was using type machine. I use the MS Office 365 and I’m bad writer.
Yes, There are also real pros within their segment who use consumer range MS Office
With EN-EL15 be careful: The new name is EN-EL 15b and can't be charged by old chargers for EN-EL 15 or EN-EL 15a. I don't notice big diffs between 15a and 15 with anything, D850 is rather greedy in terms of energy.

150$ for a card? I paid something like 300 for a 64 GB SONY. They are much cheaper today, but 256GB will cost 450 $. There's Delkin and the Lexar brand to compete with SONY. Once they start to deliver...

When I received the D850 I was stupid enough to buy a Sony but in fact, all the time I use my trusty Sandisk SD Extreme Pro and have also a Lexar XQD 128 GB as rather expensive backup card. I don't know what is worse: Only one card slot for the most expensive kind of memory cards or two different ones and only one of them is compatible with 90% PCs with card slot...

I didn't notice big differences in filling the cards when using CH drive mode, buffer emptied in more or less the same time.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next