•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nikon Z launched
(09-24-2018, 11:00 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: It seems that most of us "ML buying public" don't care too much about Wink

The ones who want to use the camera to film will be either waiting to see how good it really is. And this group probbaly is already equipped with cine lenses. The photographing group looks forward to try out existing lenses with the adapter, as there are not "many" alternatives.
    Nearly all of us have a 50/1.8 or something like that. And although I think the lens will be very good, it's no focal length I use often. Either too short or not long enough.

Try telling the GH4/5 customers that!

"Probably equipped with cine lenses"  Hmmm......what affordable cine lenses?

No no, this explains why this lens exists in it's form....Nikon's move into ML (PDCDAF) opened the door to pro level video focusing and they knew that a non breathing lens would give that extra that many others didn't have.........after all you don't create non breathing lens accidentally..........It by all accounts, isn't tack sharp wide open at the edges, but for 4K (8Mps), it will never notice!

I just don't understand why they didn't publicise the fact.......
Well, Nikon marketeers are maybe not the brightest minds? If no one told them to blurb it up?
(09-25-2018, 09:01 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Big Grin listen to the heartbeat of the lens - or whatever is pumping around

That is its noisy IS system ;-)
(09-25-2018, 11:28 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 09:01 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Big Grin listen to the heartbeat of the lens - or whatever is pumping around

That is its noisy IS system ;-)

Actually, the IS as well as the focus motors surprised me by their silence - and I'm not just saying this to counter you - on Fuji, the IS drive is always making noise, no matter if activated or not. But on the Z7... I had my ear on the lens and activated AF and IS. A flea barks louder...
Bad news for Tamron owners: 150-600 and 100-100 are not working with the FTZ adapter, Sigma lenses so far are doing okay. Didn't try all...
In the menu is an entry "AF fineadjustment". Which puzzled me, because in my cosmos there's no need for this with a ML system.

Nikon replied, there's no need for this when CDAF is active, but it's inbuilt for PDAF. And I don't know, when PDAF kicks in and causes enough problems so I'd need this function. Strange thing is, Fuji also has PDAF onboard, but obviously didn't find it worth to put in a correction possibility.

I guess, the outstandingly clever software engineers of Nikon (I don't call them "gameboys" this time) just took the D850 menu system, kicked some parts out and others in. So there's a great solution for a non-existing problem. Right? Other opinions? Am I missing a critical point?
(09-28-2018, 01:30 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: In the menu is an entry "AF fineadjustment". Which puzzled me, because in my cosmos there's no need for this with a ML system.

Nikon replied, there's no need for this when CDAF is active, but it's inbuilt for PDAF. And I don't know, when PDAF kicks in and causes enough problems so I'd need this function. Strange thing is, Fuji also has PDAF onboard, but obviously didn't find it worth to put in a correction possibility.

I guess, the outstandingly clever software engineers of Nikon (I don't call them "gameboys" this time) just took the D850 menu system, kicked some parts out and others in. So there's a great solution for a non-existing problem. Right? Other opinions? Am I missing a critical point?

(09-28-2018, 01:30 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: In the menu is an entry "AF fineadjustment". Which puzzled me, because in my cosmos there's no need for this with a ML system.

On my Sony A6000 there's also AF microadjustment function, I never thought of using
Z7/Z6 - stripping and banding limits the use of the great sensor's dynamic range :-(  With the sub-par AF tracking performance, it spoils the fun for me, too. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z...s-review/7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUii9dTwPkw  (from 5:30) 

The AF hands-on testing was done on a pre-production model, we will see if Nikon could improve opon that. 

Anyway, unless you desperately want current FF CaNikon mirorless, I would probably wait for the next generation to leave your pro DSLR setup behind. Or get Sony, the current CaNikon mirorless seems to be about a generation behind Sony in some key aspects.
martind86, I wasn't getting Sony when there was no Nikon mirrorless and I will simply not go Sony since there are close to no well working Nikon adapters available for it.

"With the sub-par AF tracking performance, it spoils the fun for me, too." I don't think you bought a Z7, so I guess you're chewing second hand "first impressions" reports. Neither AF-tracking nor other things spoil the fun for me. So far I didn't see striping and banding, the AF is the best LV AF I've seen on a Nikon so far. I updated the Fuji firmwware a couple of times and saw what their software engineers could do. To me the version 1.00 will not be in charge for long time, hopefully. For a first throw Nikon (as well as Canon) made a lot of things right.

Nobody will sell / exchange all DSLR gear for the Z-line, it's too early.

And it was only a question of time until someone found a hair in the big pot of soup. Took them rather long, it's available since last Thursday...
(10-01-2018, 05:06 PM)martind86 Wrote: Z7/Z6 - stripping and banding limits the use of the great sensor's dynamic range :-(  With the sub-par AF tracking performance, it spoils the fun for me, too. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z...s-review/7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUii9dTwPkw  (from 5:30) 

The AF hands-on testing was done on a pre-production model, we will see if Nikon could improve opon that. 

Anyway, unless you desperately want current FF CaNikon mirorless, I would probably wait for the next generation to leave your pro DSLR setup behind. Or get Sony, the current CaNikon mirorless seems to be about a generation behind Sony in key aspects.

Dunno about Nikon, I own both Sony A6000 and 7Dmkii, when in Live view, 7Dmkii is excellent, dual pixel autofocus is a huge improvement over my ex 750D, in video tracking, it is better than A6000. In low light 7Dmkii is easily better than Sony A6000
So I don't see how you consider Sony  a generation ahead, they might have a slight edge never tried their pro models, but difference if ever should be minimal at best.

PS: compared to 7Dmkii in SLR mode Sony A6000 is easily eaten for breakfast by 7D autofocus except for face detection

•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next