Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roger Cicala unfanboy Opinion about Canon/Nikon mirrorless cameras
As usual, a fun article to read: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/09...y-opinion/
--Florent

Flickr gallery
Didn't we just discussed the extreme fanboyism of some Fuji owners? Roger stated clearly what the post will be about, but he failed in mentioning Fuji, so the Fujirilla had to take care of things. It's getting worse and worse, I try not to confuse brand and buyers/owners and I know some really charming people using it - but the troll department is hardened in the fires of Mordor Smile

As always, Roger's article are a pleasure to read.

I see: On Fuji Rumors Forum everything is in defense mode, shields up: Fujifilm X-T3 Vs Rest of the World ...

THis Patrick is really I guy who knows to create clicks on his advertisement platform, where it's very hard to find content between all adverts. Whereas "content"means: some dude made a Youtube video and mentioned the word "Fuji" in it, or one photomagazine  in mongolia or Easter Islands made anotehr test to prove Fuji's world leadership (although the world doesn't seem to care too much about)
I think he raises valid points. I've been in the boat of thinking nikon days are numbered for various reasons. The other thing I noticed when comparing nikon/canon offering to fuji/sony is size. Yes fuji has large cameras and lenses but they also have relatively small cameras and lenses. The initial offerings from canon/nikon are large so what is the point of being mirror-less? If you wanted a large camera/lens then just get the slr version. I would have expected the initial offerings to be as small as possible given the lens mount and full frame constraints. Anyway time will tell - but canon can take time to get there - nikon needs to rush.
You2, I have no clue where you get that "large lenses" bs from. The Canon 35/1.8 is fairly compact, as well as the 50/1.2 (!). I've seen and used the two available Nikon lenses. The 24-70 is very compact (and should be as it's only f/4), the 35/1.8 is a tad smaller than the Sigma version and much smaller than Nikon's genuine 35/1.4 and in line  with their 35/1.8.

"Mirrorless is all about size and weight" and if not, it's not worth buying - this statement is as wrong as it is boring. It's a bit of less weight and due to shorter flange distance also a less deeper body, but for the rest everything else - battery, shutter, electronics, space for card slot and interface sockets. EVF makes a smaller profile than a full pentaprism, but that's about the weight-/size savings. On the contrary, it needs more battery power, so the weight goes a bit up at this aspect.

Wether Nikon survives or not also depends if they decide to focus less on bad marketing and just deliver their stuff. Other voices see Canon's 30 MP sensor as dated, miss a couple of things (not) implemented in the first generation-  in short, suddenly everybody knows how to make the perfect mirrorless camera. But few companies try.
(09-12-2018, 09:52 AM)you2 Wrote: I think he raises valid points. I've been in the boat of thinking nikon days are numbered for various reasons. The other thing I noticed when comparing nikon/canon offering to fuji/sony is size. Yes fuji has large cameras and lenses but they also have relatively small cameras and lenses. The initial offerings from canon/nikon are large so what is the point of being mirror-less? If you wanted a large camera/lens then just get the slr version. I would have expected the initial offerings to be as small as possible given the lens mount and full frame constraints. Anyway time will tell - but canon can take time to get there - nikon needs to rush.

Yeah, Fuji has large cameras for APS-C and MF. The MF-lenses do not offer the DOF possibilities that Canon/Nikon offer in FF, so not sure what the point is. The APS-C  is... APS-C.

Nikon does offer small cameras and lenses. Canon does offer small cameras and lenses. Neither use the without-virtue weird CFA arrangement that Fuji does, which should be considered a plus.

SMALL mirrorless cameras have the virtue of being small. SMALL cameras also have the "virtue" of really crap ergonomics. Is your position that mirrorless HAS to have really crap ergonomics? Tongue

Fuji continues to be quite unattractive in the marketplace, their market share is not big and not exactly growing much.
You2, I understand where are you coming from. CaNikon changed the narrative - both firms emphasize on image quality,ergonomics, ambitions lens parameters, and less restrictions to design lenses. I beleive that at this point is clear that smaller litter comes with compromises in what the lens can deliver especially on 35mm cameras. Please note that all mirror-less cameras increased in size in recent years. The same for lenses each time we see lens meant to be high quality tool the size and weight goes up.
I addition I would like to add that so far two predictions for mirrorless proved to be wrong:
1. Mirrorless will cheaper (not cheap) to produce therefore the cameras will be more affordable for consumer. I guess the R&D and corporate profit planning broke that one.
2. Smaller and lighter cameras and lenses.