Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YOU ARE BANNED
So I'm having a problem with the forum. It thinks I am banned; at first I thought it was ip level but if I login from a new web browser instance I can log in; but i can't login from the normal instance I use. I tried deleting all opticallimits cookies but that didn't resolve the issue. How do I clear this issue ?
--
An incog instance can't access the forum either; what I mean by new instance is a different browser that has no saved data.
Happening to many here, check this thread
http://forum.opticallimits.com/showthread.php?tid=4193
It is 100% not ip. There must be a cookie or similar but not under opticallimits hostname. If Klaus could provide us the name of the token being stored on browser side i could delete it.

Poof now it is gone. Something seems broken at least to myself.....
Cookie : mybb.opticallimits.com

FWIW - I found 4 new banned IP addresses in the DB.
There's no setting to disable this directly - what I've just disabled is the check of user IP address against the (external) anti-spam service.

As a user you have not been banned.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(09-27-2018, 08:44 PM)Klaus Wrote: Cookie : mybb.opticallimits.com

FWIW - I found 4 new banned IP addresses in the DB.
There's no setting to disable this directly - what I've just disabled is the check of user IP address against the (external) anti-spam service.

As a user you have not been banned.

Are you serving content directly or are you using a cdn ? I.e, are you banning end user ip or cdn ip ? Ok it looks like you are using cloudfare. Some cdn will pass the true ip to the server - i don't know much about cloudfare or the software you are using but if you are not using the true ip then lots of people will be banned as they pass through the cdn.
There is no setting for activating/deactivating IP banning in MyBB so the mechanism behind this is actually unclear to me.

What I've done now is to disable "Should the user IP addresses be checked against the StopForumSpam database?" - maybe that helps.

Yes, we are using CloudFlare.

(09-27-2018, 09:28 PM)Klaus Wrote: There is no setting for activating/deactivating IP banning in MyBB so the mechanism behind this is actually unclear to me.

What I've done now is to disable "Should the user IP addresses be checked against the StopForumSpam database?" - maybe that helps.

Yes, we are using CloudFlare.

You can ask cloudfare if they have a method to pass the true ip (user ip in a reliable fashion in a header; this has to be a feature of the cdn to ensure that spammer doesn't fake the ip); if they do then you would have to check if mybb has a method to use that ip. As it is right now the software is seeing a connection from the cdn which is accessed by many end users.
That is not the cause because if CloudFlare was the issue ALL users including myself couldn't enter the forum ...

(09-27-2018, 10:01 PM)Klaus Wrote: That is not the cause because if CloudFlare was the issue ALL users including myself couldn't enter the forum ...

This should not be true since cloudflare should have many data centers and the one that reaches the server would depend on the location of the client making the request. I do not know cloudfare topolgy but the cdn i have details about has many thousands of different ip blocks and even more ips in total.
-
if you are banning by ip then one cloudflare or one block of cloudflare server(s) would be blocked but not all cloudflare servers.
(09-27-2018, 10:08 PM)you2 Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 10:01 PM)Klaus Wrote: That is not the cause because if CloudFlare was the issue ALL users including myself couldn't enter the forum ...

This should not be true since cloudflare should have many data centers and the one that reaches the server would depend on the location of the client making the request. I do not know cloudfare topolgy but the cdn i have details about has many thousands of different ip blocks and even more ips in total.
-
if you are banning by ip then one cloudflare or one block of cloudflare server(s) would be blocked but not all cloudflare servers.

That is correct but even so complete world regions would be blocked.
FWIW - the user IP is forwarded by Cloudflare (I'm using that actually for geo-targeted ads) but that's done in a custom HTTP header.
In theory, I could just bypass Cloudflare for the forum but they are actually encrypting the forum traffic (https).