Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding the release of the ZX1 (and the Ricoh GR, Panasonic LX100II)
(09-28-2018, 08:11 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: So you2 know more about the price than we do? care to share? Smile

I think a RAW converter on board is sort of modern. If it would have a selfie LCD... Big Grin who knows, might be tempting to more people. Like three or four...
 I presume it will be over $2500 and likely over $3500. If I am wrong I'll bite my tongue; but if I'm right will you bit yours ?
Why should I? I didn't come up with a price expecation, you were pretending to have a crystal ball. We''ll see - although I admit, I don't care  Tongue
(09-28-2018, 02:04 PM)wim Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 01:18 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Well, as the lens and camera are a closed unit without any options, they behave as if there is no system (of interchangeable lenses). No system, no lock. If you have more than one lens and them interchangeable, there's a system, and if the mount is exotic enough, you're locked into it.
Funny this, to be very honest.

I used to shoot a Canon G10 as my carry around camera. However, I really wanted more from a camera that size, so eventually got a Pen-F, MFT, and now can use the 22 exchangeable lenses I have for the MFT-mount, plus my Canon lenses if I feel the need with one of three speedboosters and adapters, while still having a portable click&shoot camera when i need it at approximately the same size as the Canon, with way, way, way better IQ, and many more possibilities.

Being locked in is very relative. Personally, I would feel locked in with a camera like the ZX-1. For all intents and purposes it is a camera system that locks one in in a very extreme way, if you'd ask me. For each different option you'd like to use you need another one of those locked-in systems. And then to pay an amount for it which is probably going to be around the 4000 euros or thereabouts, even I would rather carry a FF DSLR ....

In short, IMO locked-in is relative, but the worst case would be a single type of use camera, with no interchangeable stuff at all.

Kind regards, Wim

Well said!   

If you're going to be locked in.......be so in the most versatile way possible!
Dave's clichés
(09-28-2018, 03:08 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Wim, you see it only from the side "I need more than one lens".

The restriction of the ZX-1 cannot be a lock-in: One can, if needed, get whatever camera you like to add a bigger bandwidth. But see it from the side of a limited system (like the passed away Nikon 1) then you're really locked into this system. The Pentax MF with restricted FL-range, or earlier some 110 format filmcameras with two or three lenses at max. There were other systems with even less lenses, but a single body with fixed lens is limiting your freedom to change lenses - but not your freedom to go totally lightweight and simple. I never felt locked in when I decided to only take my G11 with me, or these days the P7800 as a "always with me" type of camera. I know I can't do certain shots with it, but I also enjoy the simplicity.
Actually, the Pen-F feels lighter than the G10, and I carry it at all times, like i did with the G10, with a standard zoom lens. The combo is almost the same size, just a teensy bit larger, but since it easily fits in the same man-purse as the G10, that is not a worry either. And the nice thing is that I can easily add 1 or 2 lenses to the same bag without really taking up space of the other stuff I also carry with it, wallet, pens, keys, etc., and the smaller MFT lenses are very light as well. So, that's totally lightweight, and I am sure this setup weighs less than the ZX1 too Smile.

In short, I can do all the shots with it I want, when I want it, if I want it, and can still choose deliberately not to if I want, which is something you cannot do with the Zeiss, because it is so darn limiting Smile.

Hence, to me a ZX1 would be extremely restrictive. More weight, nothing interchangeable, relatively big - personally I do not care and would never buy it myself.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(09-28-2018, 12:27 AM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 11:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: The ZX1 (or the LX100) isn't any more compact than similar system cameras really. At least there's no technical reason that I can think of (give or take a few mm).

I still maintain compactness of camera + lens is an advantage.
The LX100 lens is 24-70 equiv and f1.7-2.8. What MFT zoom can match it in terms of size and speed? (even if you consider the 2.2x crop factor vs 2x for MFT)

I suspect that you could develop a similar lens for MFT really. Probably took advantage of a bigger opening on the LX100 there but a f/2.8-4 would certainly be possible.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I think he is saying that the EOS R has a very nice sensor with DPAF which works great for video AF, that the body has the nicest feel and great controls, and that the released lenses fill pretty cool niches.

Or maybe he is just saying that everyone should go get Sony for its crappy RAW format with issues, the crappy feel and menus and other oddities. Not entirely sure.
(09-29-2018, 07:20 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I think he is saying that the EOS R has a very nice sensor with DPAF which works great for video AF, that the body has the nicest feel and great controls, and that the released lenses fill pretty cool niches.

Or maybe he is just saying that everyone should go get Sony for its crappy RAW format with issues, the crappy feel and menus and other oddities. Not entirely sure.

Who's he? The author of the big meadow of characters in the other thread?
Ha, sorry JoJu. I replied to an EOS R thread, and it ends up here. Dazed and confused forum software.
This unbound, unparagraphed mass of texts has all abilities to confuse. I didn't step into this jungle, I borrowed my machete to Lara and she's not back yet...
it seems there's a new tendancy: everyone must have a secondary body
after zeiss and ricoh here comes a french camera maker
https://photorumors.com/2018/09/28/addit...ii-camera/