Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang XP 10mm f3.5 announced at Photokina
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/new-s...kina-32773

"Zero distortion rectilinear". Could be an impressive lens, with 122° horizontal field of view.
I'm always wondering - where on this planet is the foreground located that makes a 10mm lens viable?
I really like ultra-wides but my world ends at 16mm there - max.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-03-2018, 11:20 AM)Klaus Wrote: I'm always wondering - where on this planet is the foreground located that makes a 10mm lens viable?

Same here , people look at numbers unfortunately, they are ready to buy staff they would never need.
I learnt this the expensive way though...
Will try to find out - I've the Laowa 10-18mm here ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(10-03-2018, 11:20 AM)Klaus Wrote: I'm always wondering - where on this planet is the foreground located that makes a 10mm lens viable?

You just need to get closer to your foreground, Klaus Smile.

Or start a real estate photography business Wink.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
I knew an occasion where 14mm on full frame was not wide enough (I had to use this setup after failing to procure a fisheye lens in time) - when I was shooting inside a telescope dome at the local observatory. A couple more times during the recent (ongoing actually) trip I wished to have something wider than 16mm - on APS-H this time - in the bag, since I left the 14mm at home; now having the more traditional ultrawide shots in mind. So there's always a reason to use an ultra-ultra-wide. Smile

I wonder what's keeping them from releasing that lens with AF in the first place. It looks like there are two heads of product strategy over at Samyang, each pulling into his/her own direction without regard to the other.
I've used 11mm quite often, shooting interiors. Also comes in handy shooting architecture even when outside and I wouldn't even hesitate to use it on the street. So, there is definitely a use for those lenses.
Astro-photography.....with our world at the bottom of the image.....but personally I find 14mm wide enough!
Dave's clichés