Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An unacceptable issue with Sony A6000 that seems common in Sony world..
Today for the first time I used my Sony A6000 for serious video not 2 minutes clip and got a huge disappointment....
After barely 20 minutes the camera overheated, luckily 7Dmkii was in the car  and it did the remaining 40 minutes working like a charm with absolutely no issues.
Checked online and it seems a known common issue, what's the point of video if you can't do more than 20 minutes, that's simply unacceptable, then they say Sony is a mature mirrorless system...in my book such an issue is no no
That is a known issue with Sony, improved significantly with later models. 6500 is supposed to have issue solved.

It is what it is. Sony is very good with video but overheating, and 6000 is missing IBIS.

Simple fact is no system is perfect. Each picks its own medicine. Panasonic for example is trouble free here. And has IBIS. Yet could have better video AF. And so on... :-)
To be fair to Sony here - 20min of uninterrupted video is usually enough. Beyond 20min it's really more a surveillance video ... Ok, time lapse maybe (but then I'm wondering whether the sensor has to be on all the time in this case).
(10-04-2018, 10:51 PM)forum Wrote: To be fair to Sony here - 20min of uninterrupted video is usually enough. Beyond 20min it's really more a surveillance video ...

Absolutely not, Obviously you have never been the videographer at an event:
usually in events/concerts  there are several cameras shooting at the same time, plus you have the audio track that is not always taken from the camera actually shooting, editor then make a movie  switching between cameras, for that you need the video tracks and sound track synced.
Since syncing is nt an easy job, you start shooting with all cameras and never stop till the end even if what you are shooting is meaningless, this way you do syncing only once for all tracks otherwise editing is a nightmare especially if editor wasn't at the even and you risk ending up with disasters like bad lips syncing with sound.
II can understand what Klaus is referring to. I do use video often, however most of my clips are around 1-2 min, and I do not think ever had them longer than 5 min.

I fully agree that in profesional use lenght can be longer, as in your example. Not to look for excuses for Sony, but in the end it is up to 
user to pick the right tool for the job. As much as 6000 can do just fine within occasional use, it is obviously not the best choice for continuous coverage.
Honestly, if you use an A6000 for professional concerts or conference videos, you're doing it wrong.
That's more the realm of a Canon XC15 or a Pana GH.

The A6000 is a 4 year old (dated) consumer camera ...

Sony is doing certain things wrong for sure but that criticism is a bit over the top IMHO.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
The whole of utube was on fire about the Sony A6,000 overheating issue...........in fact most of the older Sony range suffered.......

........didn't you hear about it?
(10-05-2018, 10:34 PM)Klaus Wrote: Honestly, if you use an A6000 for professional concerts or conference videos, you're doing it wrong.

Sony is doing certain things wrong for sure but that criticism is a bit over the top IMHO.

just for info, not all cameras used in a shooting are high end models, a consumer grade camera is just enough to take a panoramic view of the concert for instance, it's just left there shooting the same scene like a surveillance camera no videographer behind, no need for high performance autofocus or anything else. And many professionals do buy such cameras just for this, it doubles as backup camera.
That's a job classicaly given here to Canon 7D which is even older than A6000
BTW that's what my 7Dmkii used to do before I bought it, with a practically non used shutter (less than 5k shots)
(10-06-2018, 06:17 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(10-05-2018, 10:34 PM)Klaus Wrote: Honestly, if you use an A6000 for professional concerts or conference videos, you're doing it wrong.

just for info, not all cameras used in a shooting are high end models, a consumer grade camera is just enough to take a panoramic view of the concert for instance, it's just left there shooting the same scene like a surveillance camera no videographer behind, no need for high performance autofocus or anything else. And many professionals do buy such cameras just for this, it doubles as backup camera.
That's a job classicaly given here to Canon 7D which is even older than A6000
BTW that's what my 7Dmkii used to do before I bought it, with a practically non used shutter (less than 5k shots)

Wasn't a 7D in a different price class than the A6000? AFAIK a A6300 or A6500 for non 4K video should be fine. But do not all this cameras have a 30 min limit any way?
Depends whereto they are sold: in certain countries the limit is only a question of paying (more) taxes and copyright fees for camcorder.