Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss Otus 100mm f1.4 coming
Both for Canon EOS and Nikon F mount. 
https://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/10...14100.html
This might be an interesting lens but it will undoubtedly cost an arm; leg and kidney. Also it is awful close tot the 85f1.4
It's a first for Zeiss. Funny, that there are three companies offering lenses in this region - although Zeiss is the most contradictive offer: f/1.4, 100 mm and manual focus - good luuck with spray and pray...
I do not thing pray and spray is an option: spraying is only a solution when shooting action and one is not capable/sure to capture a good shot, so one sprays.
Better options:
• find out if the lens focusses accurately with the PD AF system, and if so, rely on focus confirmation.
• use an alternative focus screen that will show focus differences at larger apertures (this requires good eyesight, of course)
• alternatively, use live view

Personally I would not want to pay the prices Zeiss asks for these lenses, besides the "they are manual focus lenses" thing. I suspect that most Otus buyers have a high level of "bragging rights/misplaced snobbism" drive comparable to Leica customers.
"and if so"... and if not? If course, AFMA. For a manual focus lens, right?

The "alternative focus screen" first needs to be available, must be possible to fit in with no problem - especially with no problem with the other lenses. At worst, these will be off focus a weeny bit when using the screen to manual focus.

After that, I'd love to watch a Zeiss representative doing a wide open portrait session with in focus eyes and headshots, handling 1.5-2kg of a lens without tripod. I would even pay an entrance fee for this experience. Must be entertaining to see who looses his nerve or falls asleep first, model or photog? And how lively the pictures would look like afterwards Big Grin

Yes we had f/1.4 lenses back in the day of film, when no one could do AFMA and Contax marketing brought the film bending to our minds which makes it's own curved sensor, just to sell a ceramic vacuum plate as THE thing. But these f/1.4 lenses from his times won't stand a chance in terms of sharpness and contrast to modern lenses, so we had to stop down - and the f/1.4 was more to make a bright finder view. The occasions I used wide open were the occasions I had to explain afterwards where I wanted to place sharpness...
When the Otus 50mm first came out it was an optical revolution.....the first no compromise fully corrected lens.....it cost your shirt.....but that perfection was "a must have" at least for the few.........even with the inconvenience of MF.

........We all marvelled. drooling!

Several years later things look so different.......there's now a whole bunch of very good AF glass at a quarter of the price of Otus........

........Instead of drooling............ we are yawning......

........I'm afraid to say I am one of the yawners here.......
Dave's clichés
I never drooled and I never marvelled about Otus. It's contradictive to go as high as just possible (with price and performance) and keep on relying on manual focus, at the same time offering the fastest aperture on a Zeiss 100 mm I'm aware of. Usable wide open and a tube of lead to handhold - Sigma at least put a lens collar on their monster.

I really don't know where Zeiss wants to go to, but I've seen each Otus at least once in the second hand cabinets and on the second hand market - the money you can loose with it would buy you a Sigma easily...
(10-17-2018, 08:15 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: I really don't know where Zeiss wants to go to, but I've seen each Otus at least once in the second hand cabinets and on the second hand market - the money you can loose with it would buy you a Sigma easily.
Allow me to tell you why.
People are buying more and more online rather than going to shops, all what they are checking are reviews and MTF charts, they want less DOF more sharpness , this lens offers all this, so they will click on add to cart button and that's all what matters
Sometimes I envy you for your simple way to look at things. None of the persons you describe will buy an Otus, most of them never heard of it.

You sincerely believe, people order a 4000$ lens without eben tried it? Zeiss is offering testing days. That's the least they can do if one is about to throw this kind of money. And I believe, people first are blown away by it's sharpness, contrast and bokeh. And after a while they find out nobody actually sees it, it's impractical to focus, heavy to transport - plus, to make bad things worse: If they use a camera with a normal AA filter, contrast as well as sharpness do suffer. And the whole thing still is only 135 format, but at MF prices and weight - so why not go the last mile and invest in a  visible quality increase?

Otii are meant to bring MF IQ to smaller cameras (than a Phase One...). Each Fuji GFX picture will attract more viewers than any Otus picture. I say, it's a waste of money and everybody needs time to get that view...
(10-17-2018, 10:50 AM)toni-a Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 08:15 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: I really don't know where Zeiss wants to go to, but I've seen each Otus at least once in the second hand cabinets and on the second hand market - the money you can loose with it would buy you a Sigma easily.
Allow me to tell you why.
People are buying more and more online rather than going to shops, all what they are checking are reviews and MTF charts, they want less DOF more sharpness , this lens offers all this, so they will click on add to cart button and that's all what matters

I'll have some of what you're smokin!
Dave's clichés