Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeiss Otus 100mm f1.4 coming
I think the Otus lenses are primarily used by the video guys. On the Zeiss website they are pointing to RED cameras, for instance.
And as a CINE lens they are actually not all THAT expensive. e.g. a Sigma CINE 85mm T1.5 costs the tripple amount of the 85mm f/1.4 ART.

Zeiss is stating that these lenses have no axial CAs ... that's quite neat actually - and maybe the most special aspect.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
It's an Apo-Sonnar, and for this price (I guess roughly 5-6 k ?) low or none axial CAs are to be expected. Until last Friday when I first saw the rumor on Nikon rumors I was not aware that The Otii are available also with geared focus rings - the price I stated is for the 55 mm photo version. If Sigma calls for the triple price, there's no reason why Zeiss would give away the cine version for only 4 k. To put things in perspective, a Zeiss 70-200 T2.9 costs 20 k.

But Otii were not meant to become cine lens primarily:

Quote:ZEISS Otus lenses were originally designed to meet the needs of demanding still photographer looking for the best image result even when shooting the lens at the largest aperture of f/1.4

It makes a lot of sense to use manual focus lenses with aperture ring for movies, but for photography... for this kind of money and still only 135 size sensor, there are better options in larger formats.

Anyway, a cine lens version can't be the excuse to sell a focuswise very slow lens for superhigh prices - or maybe better: "no excuse to buy it". Big Grin
Yes, they were intended for photography but ended up in the video market ;-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I saw an 85mm Otus in the wild once - on the Flower festival in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I admired the bravery and fortitude of the guy who was using this lens in such a strenuous environment. Me, the Tamron 70-300 VC carried me through that event just fine, although I wouldn't mind getting a fast 85 some time down the road (and thanks to Klaus, I know which lens I'd be after). Smile

I wonder if Zeiss are going to round up the Otus lineup fully? (as in adding, say, a 35mm and maybe even a 20-21mm?)
(10-18-2018, 09:38 AM)Klaus Wrote: Yes, they were intended for photography but ended up in the video market ;-)

Reminds me of the oly 4/3 f2 lenses. They didn't sell forever (and were expensive as both kidneys) and then suddenly they were all gone because the video folks discovered they were worth 3x their prices and snatched them up.
Apparently there is market for Otus line, narrow niche but sustainable. If the first one (55mm 1.4) was not received well Zeiss would've stop adding more lenses to Otus line.
I was expecting 20mm release (21mm this is Zeiss, I forgot), may be later...
(10-18-2018, 05:14 PM)borisbg Wrote: Apparently there is market for Otus line, narrow niche but sustainable. If the first one (55mm 1.4) was not received well Zeiss would've stop adding more lenses to Otus line.
I was expecting  20mm release (21mm this is Zeiss, I forgot), may be later...

Yeah, my (recycled bottle glass) crystal ball is also seein' a 21mm. It's just not sure how huge the filter diameter is going to be on that one! Big Grin (better not to think about it...)
I'm not sure they couold make a 21 much better than the original contax 21. Great lens only negatives was wavy waveform and very large.