Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OL rating system
I'm sure they are excellent................but my computer is fine enough for what I do in photography......3.8 Ghz processor+ 16 Gbs of RAM.....SSD ...graphics card is very powerful as the previous user was a gamer.......all the components are available anywhere........ for affordable prices!

I'm allergic to $1,200 repairs for a bent pin....

Unlike the expression ..............I have more sense than money!

If Nikon used the same practices with it's cameras I wouldn't be there either........
Dave's clichés
Yeah, go ahead, throw in some ridiculous numbers without any reliable sources, that's normal life of the whole internet...

My iMac is more than 8 years old, has 24 GB RAM SSD and very soon will have an internal 8TB harddisk. I paid a bit more for it at the beginning*, but so far it was worth the price. It works fluently with all high res files and if I need to open 50 100 MB tifs, it opens 50 100 MB tifs.

Today is a different story: All new iMacs are totally closed boxes, a buyer (who hopefully is not me) has to decide which SSD, how much RAM, which processor and just in case Apple abandons the fast thunderbolt connectors for something else, it becomes a nicely designed desk sculpture which every photographer takes as "PC", if he or she has to illustrate any advanced apps. Why is that? These designers are dumb enough to work on a Mac and realize the windows app will never ever be hosted on a Mac.

I don't want to convert you to a Mac-user, beware, these days it's no longer a symbol for sympathy.

* but not much more, as decent 27" monitors with a colorprofile like an iMac were also rather pricey. I say, Macs were never cheap, but worth the price. "Were", like "in the past". Sad
(10-23-2018, 12:03 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: Yeah, go ahead, throw in some ridiculous numbers without any reliable sources, that's normal life of the whole internet...

My iMac is more than 8 years old, has 24 GB RAM SSD and very soon will have an internal 8TB harddisk. I paid a bit more for it at the beginning*, but so far it was worth the price. It works fluently with all high res files and if I need to open 50 100 MB tifs, it opens 50 100 MB tifs.

Today is a different story: All new iMacs are totally closed boxes, a buyer (who hopefully is not me) has to decide which SSD, how much RAM, which processor and just in case Apple abandons the fast thunderbolt connectors for something else, it becomes a nicely designed desk sculpture which every photographer takes as "PC", if he or she has to illustrate any advanced apps. Why is that? These designers are dumb enough to work on a Mac and realize the windows app will never ever be hosted on a Mac.

* but not much more, as decent 27" monitors with a colorprofile like an iMac were also rather pricey. I say, Macs were never cheap, but worth the price. "Were", like "in the past". Sad

Oh I'm throwing in ridiculous prices all right.....it just that they are not my prices, there're Apples........why you think I'm inventing them I don't know......you just have to look at their official spare parts price list.......
   Funnily enough I was talking about today actually! ......closed boxes......closed spare parts availability, untrustworthy service personnel.......fearsome prices.....refusing repairs......etc.
      ........Apple thinks it can rewrite the world rules........but things are slowly changing and people are starting think twice about $1,200 phones........
  ......especially after removing the headphone socket and enforcing you to buy yet another accessory......there are currently seventeen cables to the iphone......
  I used to respect them and was a first adopter of the iphone 1, believe it or not!......
   ....but some businesses get too greedy and want to dominate/control
--------
Quote:
  "I don't want to convert you to a Mac-user, beware, these days it's no longer a symbol for sympathy."

Ahh.....no worries on the conversion front....

The Chinese will no doubt redress Apples dominance.
Dave's clichés
So much rubbish in one post... Big Grin but I think, it all depends what one wants to do with a PC. In some cases, it only needs to have a keyboard with a robust "dot" key ......................

Chinese redressing Apple. Haha. In each Apple is more China inside than in your Nikon.

And I actually wonder what Apple or cheap and ugly PCs have to do with OL ratings?
Hi JoJu,
For the most part I stand by what I said.....(it's heart driven).....and the Chinese phone industry "has" made inroads into the iphones market........

.....as for the computer world .....no! .........that market is dwindling, the days of the computer tower look almost done........it's the days of the almost unconnectable tablets......and the apple store! Ugh.......I find it unhealthy.......ha ha!

As for, what this has to do with the price of sliced bread? ................ Les choses s'enchainent!
Dave's clichés
JoJu, you can upgrade the RAM on new iMacs, but not the entry level one (8GB soldered onto the board). And yes, it is funny to read the nonsense about Apple from non-Apple users, I agree.
I think it's truly touching to see you two "harmonizing together"!..................so sweet.....I brushed a little tear so moved was I......

Let us savour this once in a lifetime moment!................ ROTFL
Dave's clichés
As I said, as long as the dot-key is working, all is good on dave's gaming machine.

Oh, did I mention I upgraded the HD the second time? From 1 to 4 to 8 TB, just because I'm too much a coward to decide for a NAS Sad And once again I enjoyed Steve's touch, it's really nice and pretty inside an old iMac.

Pity, there's no thunderbolt and no USB 3.0, otherwise the machine is still up to the big files.
I made a "hackintosh" from an old Dell (4 core i5) for my girlfriend so she does not have to deal with a Windows CrapWare™ games machine, on a budget. I use a Mac Mini myself, besides my MacBook Air. Dave's love affair with Windows is cute, indeed.
Mac Mini is also on my list, and spend the saved money for two nice monitors.