Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your vote for the lens of the year..
Hi guys,
             Well, what a busy busy year for lenses! ...... I think we've seen all we are going to see this year in term of new releases..........

.....so it's......

..........Vote for your lens of the year time!!!!

........Hey yeh!  (fanfare music wells, fireworks etc)

Actually my vote goes to the new...

"" Canon RF 50mm F1.2 USM ""

Just because it's the best lens of it's kind that is, tack sharp wide open, has magic bokeh and has what many of the "elite' lenses lack........

.........Autofocus!!!!........

Canon showed that great "R" glass is key..........Nikon Z glass just couldn't quite get over the existing bar and did nothing to raise it....(at least in terms of aperture)
Dave's clichés
Which lenses were releases this year? :-)
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Hai Dave, "you are vote for the lens of the year?" Really?
And "So it's"? "fanfare music wells"?

Sorry to correct your flawless English ;-)

And I agree on that the Canon RF 50mm f1.2 L USM certainly is a contender... I only do not agree that it has magic bokeh. It has heavy cats eye, and yes, quite smooth bokeh in most distances, but a lens like the (way simpler) Nikkor AF 58mm f1.4 has even smoother bokeh.
Another contender could be the Nikkor 500mm f5.6 PF, for its low price and weight for a FF tele prime (and good performance of course).
Or the Sigma 135mm f1.8.
(11-03-2018, 07:52 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: Hai Dave, "you are vote for the lens of the year?" Really?
And "So it's"? "fanfare music wells"?

Sorry to correct your flawless English ;-)

And I agree on that the Canon RF 50mm f1.2 L USM certainly is a contender... I only do not agree that it has magic bokeh. It has heavy cats eye, and yes, quite smooth bokeh in most distances, but a lens like the (way simpler) Nikkor AF 58mm f1.4 has even smoother bokeh.
Another contender could be the Nikkor 500mm f5.6 PF, for its low price and weight for a FF tele prime (and good performance of course).
Or the Sigma 135mm f1.8.

Oops on the "your"..........(hey did you look at the time when I wrote it?)

Not sure what you're trying to say with the "fanfare music wells" though......"to well up"....
........swell.....increase in volume!

Actually, in terms of lenses suitable for birders like me that would be the one.........my vote here was more about the importance of the brand related side of  lenses......breaking new ground....etc.
  .....as for bokeh and cat's eyes, how big does it have to be to not have them?

.....You choose a Nikkor........
                  .....and I choose a Canon??

This is a first........we'll be swapping gear next!
Dave's clichés
I only vote for lenses I acquired this years and as far as I remember that was only the 14-24/2.8 Art and the 24-70 Z kit lens. Between the two is a tough choice as the kit lens is the only native lens I have (and so far "will buy") for the Z. And the 14-24 was the replacement for the Nikon version. So, I'm rather happy with both of them. Can't decide who I like more.
Sony 24/1,4 wins easily in my book. Favorite focal length coupled with great performance and size.

Runners up would be Canon 70-200/4 and Pana 50-200, while I am also impressed by Sigmas, raising the bar of pure optical excellence.
The most innovative lens of 2018 was certainly the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2 followed by the Sigma 60-600mm OS.
The most relevant one ... well ... that's an entirely different question.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Sony 24/1.4 GM.
Olympus Pro 45 F/1.2 Smile

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
The 60-600mm Sigma is an ambitious undertaking........and one that has to perform very well at all settings....

....standing next to the Contemporary and the Sport, it could bite off more than it could chew..........true out in dusty conditions, not having to change lenses is a plus, but......

.......it just "has" to perform!........

I guess it will be Lenstip who does the definitive review.........looking forward to it!!
Dave's clichés