Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another wedding and another achille heal for mirrorless...
Yesterday I shot another wedding.... I used mainly Canon 7Dmkii plus Sony A6000
For the indoors party photos Sony was practically nin usable, it's AF was too slow, especially it doesn't use flash infrared AF assist, while with 7D autofocus was instantanous , note that slow lenses were used on both (Sony 16-50 and canon 15-85) I finished using nothing but but a manual focus fisheye on Sony.
Sony was AF in this situation was not up to the job, I was taking pictures rather rapidly and wanted to capture the moment I took 522 shots in three hours, Sony really suffered from lack of flash infrared AF assist, did it have it, it would have changed everything, I read that's a problem with all mirrorless cameras since the sensor isn't enough sensitive to infrared....
So in this particular situation mirrorless wasn't simply up to the job, also 7Dmkii achieved 522 shots with plenty of battery remaining...
(11-04-2018, 05:45 AM)toni-a Wrote: Yesterday I shot another wedding.... I used mainly Canon 7Dmkii plus Sony A6000
For the indoors party photos Sony was practically nin usable, it's AF was too slow, especially it doesn't use flash infrared AF assist, while with 7D autofocus was instantanous , note that slow lenses were used on both (Sony 16-50 and canon 15-85) I finished using nothing but but a manual focus fisheye on Sony.
Sony was AF in this situation was not up to the job, I was taking pictures rather rapidly and wanted to capture the moment I took 522 shots in three hours, Sony really suffered from lack of flash infrared AF assist, did it have it, it would have changed everything, I read that's a problem with all mirrorless cameras since the sensor isn't enough sensitive to infrared....
So in this particular situation mirrorless wasn't simply up to the job, also 7Dmkii achieved 522 shots with plenty of battery remaining...

Sorry toni-a, but your thread title is pure click-bait.

If you have followed developments on mirrorless you should know you are talking only about YOUR mirrorless set-up, and you should also know that more modern offerings coming closer to your 7D in price and performance score way, way better than your current snapshot MILC, if not better than your current dslr setup.

Regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
you mean with newer MILC flash infrarared autofocus assist works ???
I read that mirrorless using camera sensor can't do that. Am I wrong with this point ?
You read bullshit, Toni-A. My stone age Sony DSC 828 projects a laser pattern, if it's too dark to focus - and that camera definitely is mirrorless and far away from state of the art - which means, "mirrorless" has nothing to do with "AF help light possible or not". To switch on that pattern of a dedicated flash and use PDAF to focus is a simple firmware add-on. Your EOS 7D will be eaten for breakfast by a current Fuji X-T3.
I don't think mirrorless cameras can see infra red patterns to focus on.
If it's a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses, an infrared filter is sometimes part of the glass stack in front of the sensor. In some types with integrated lens, these filters can move aside. All Sonys of this line (DSC 515, 717 and 828) could go to an infrared nightshot mode. But using slow glass and the complaining "oh, doesn't work well in dark situations" is kind of stupid.
As far as I know, all DSLRs and MILCs don't see infrared in an amount that you can focus with it on the imaging chip? So what Toni wrote still is right? :-O
Of course, nowadays those infrared patterns are only needed in dark situations, not low light situations like weddings.
Then why could his trusted "winning team" focus on IR? Wink

Actually, I don't think, the flashgun is emitting IR patterns, just red ones. And Fuji as well as Nikon MILC appear to not activate the focus help patterns. I think you're right with IR sensitivity of modern sensors, but just to the point as most cameras feature an IR filter. In front of the sensor. And DSLRs don't AF directly on sensors... But then, using IR film back in the made "defocussing" always necessary. The little red mark on film lenses was the focus index if IR film was loaded. Which then means: IR focus position and non-IR focus position is different. And I doubt today's lenses will act differently?
Lenses are not designed to focus IR at the same spot, they are only corrected to best focus R to B wavelengths. So indeed, IR does not end up focussed at the same point.
Toni, we get it. Your 7Dii eats the Sony mirrorless. It wipes the floor with it. Mirrorless is a toy and Canon DSLR still are much better.

Nobody expects anyone to go into a wedding environment with an A6000, powerzoom kit lens and a single battery and outperform one of the best performing APS-C DSLRs with one of the best APS-C standard zoom lenses. Neither should you.

Please for the love of god understand that what you have is one high end APS-C DSLR with a very good lens, both tailored for situations exactly like this. Other is a much cheaper mirrorrless camera with the kit lens. Of course 7Dii will perform better, you don't have to open another topic every other week to show off how much better the Canon is.